Care Bread

I received a particularly heart warming and inspiring email from a customer today and thought it would be nice to post it here.

I enjoy your site and your products very much. I have been baking bread
with great success. I do healing work with people who suffer a wide range of
problems.  Cancer patients, people in the hospital, people who have been
injured or sick, and people stuck at home.

I bake bread and take it with me when I go to see my special people. I call
it care bread. Most times I know when I will go to work with them so I time
the baking process so I can take the bread out of the oven and go right out
the door. There is something therapeutic about a hot loaf of fresh bread. It
says, "I care about you" to those who are hurting.

I love the reactions I get from people who are suffering with the worst of
life’s afflictions.

I strongly recommend that if you have a friend or loved one who is sick or
just having a hard time, bake a loaf of hot bread and take it by. Spread the
love. You’ll be glad you did.

John
Cumming GA

breadtopia February 17, 2008 at 6:01 am

Chuck,

If you scroll down to Bob Packer’s Feb. 15th, 2008 post over at http://www.breadtopia.com/2008/01/24/nates-bake, he has a simple and effective solution to reduce bottom crust burning.

breadtopia February 17, 2008 at 5:58 am

Hi Irene,

A pretty rough rule of thumb would be take the lid off and reduce the temp for the last 10 minutes of the total bake time. Going longer or shorter effects the thickness and “crustiness” of the crust, so experimenting with the timing will lead you to your preferred timing.

irene February 17, 2008 at 2:06 am

“I just bake whatever I have in a cloche because I like the way things bake in it. There’s no real adapting involved.”

Is there a rule of thumb for how far into the baking process one should remove the lid from La Cloche and/or lower the heat, assuming I’m using a recipe which presupposes baking without benefit of any sort of stone?

Chuck February 2, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Thanks, I’m going to try several things including preheating. I am using a new Cuisinart pan to hold the silicone pans since they’re a little floppy by themselves and the bottom of the pan is very dark but the upper surface is shiny – this might be another part of the problem. I’m cooking the loaves as long as I am to get the tops to brown sufficiently.

breadtopia February 2, 2008 at 12:41 pm

What would happen if you tried baking in preheated oven for less time?

Chuck January 31, 2008 at 9:59 pm

I seem to be having a problem with the bottoms of loaves scorching while the tops don’t brown enough. Using silicone pans on a half-sheet pan on top of a baking stone. Beginning with a cold oven and cooking at 375F for about 45 mins. Get nice oven spring but bottom of loaves (bake 3 at a time, 2lb loaves). I would appreciate suggestions and “fixes.” Very embarrassing if you’re baking the loaves for “care” bread.

breadtopia January 30, 2008 at 5:12 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Yes I have and often use an overnight “soaker” and then mix in in with the rest of the ingredient the next day.

I’m not sure what you mean by your second question. I just bake whatever I have in a cloche because I like the way things bake in it. There’s no real adapting involved.

Elizabeth January 29, 2008 at 12:31 am

Have you heard of the method of soaking wholegrain flour in raw whey or buttermilk at room temp for up to 24hrs? It ferments and produces its own beatiful leaven. It is not quite the same method as sourdough bread. I was wondering how to adapt your method of La Cloche baking, to use soaked flour.

Chuck January 28, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I’ve done this a few times with close friends and neighbors. My bread is usually a bit on the “different” side so I’m pretty cautious about who I give a loaf to. I like to try different things with sourdoughs and I usually go by feel rather than by measure. Doesn’t help the consistency of my bread but does a lot to burn off frustrations. I’ve created some “doozies” that starving goats probably wouldn’t eat.

Lewis December 5, 2007 at 5:52 pm

What a neat idea! Care Bread. I will have to remember that one!

Also, I love your blog and your videos! Keep it up you inspire :)