Bread Maestro Mark Liptak

Mark’s got his bread baking down. Earlier, he contributed his Caramelized Onion Loaf variation of the basic no knead recipe. Check it out.

I’m pasting a more recent email from Mark here with his useful tips on getting more out of your baking days and keeping it simple. Thanks Mark!

The Bittman video and Breadtopia have made lasting changes in my bread making. We now make bread twice a week. The process is so simple and not at all sensitive. I never use a scale and am not super careful with measuring/weighing flour. Just need to add a bit more or less water to compensate. I have made a bit of a change though. I figured as long as I’ve got the oven up to 500, why not cook two at once and up the weight of each loaf. Therefore, I’ve gone to 4 cups of flour and boosted all the other ingredients accordingly by 30%. As long as the dough is always real sticky, it works out great.

Here are todays loaves. White on the left, caramelized onion on the right (still my favorite). It just doesn’t get any better!

Thanks for turning us on this.

BTW, on the diet side…..this is not too good for the waistline. Its interesting, my wife worked in a bakery in the 80’s that sold “Malsovit” bread. It was packed full of fiber and sold as a diet bread. I think he was selling 2500 loaves a week. I think there’s something similar mentioned in Crust and Crumb, I’m going to explore that.

(If Mark is able to track down the Malsovit bread recipe, he’ll pass it along to us. It sounds great.)

Darrell February 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm

You are chasing the proverbial pot of gold. There is no recipe for Malsovit bread. No one would divuldge the “recipe” because no one knew what was in it.
It was a proprietary bread mix sold to bakeries by a Dutch company under a licensing agreement with exclusive territory rights .
The bakery bought the flour mix and added their own water, yeast, vinegar, sunflower oil.
Follow the link for an 1990 article about it.

“There’s no mystery attached to Malsovit. The ingredients are clearly labeled: Whole wheat, bran, barley, oats, soy flour, wheat germ, rye, buckwheat, wheat gluten and kelp make up the flour, and the bakers add yeast, water, sunflower oil and vinegar. Each slice of the finished product contains 3.2 grams complete protein; 3.6 grams dietary fiber; 12.2 grams carbohydrates; and 66 calories.”
Like all of breadom you cannot decipher the recipe from a list of ingredients. Flour, yeast, salt, water yields 100’s of different products.
3 brothers bakery is not selling the original Malsovit bread. They have come up with their own formula to approximate the original formulation and are using the name.
The diet book was written on the coat tails of the success of the bread not the other way around.
Good Luck.

Judy March 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Did any one ever find a recipe for the dutch bread, Malsovit? I use to order it from a bakery in Sacramento, California but they no longer make them.
I did read the comment about 3 Brothers Bakery. I just wonder if they use a preservative or something to keep it fresh in order to ship.
Like one of the other Malsovit customers, I use to order 3 dozen at a time and I would also put them in the freezer when I got home and take one loaf out at a time.

L. Howell January 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

where can I buy Malsovit Bread in southern states?

teresa February 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Did anyone ever find the Malsovit Bread recipe?

cheryl February 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

i’m also looking for the recipe for the malsolvit bread, if you find it will you pass it along!!! i will do the same.

Darrell February 22, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I substituted the same amount of Sun Dried Tomatoes in the Olive-Parmesean KNB and had great results. Kalmata olives are available in ethnic delis for much much lower prices than supermarket bottled varieties. $3.00 to $4.00 lb. You have to pit them.
A chefs suggestion.
Count the olives when you begin.
Count the pits when you are done.
I have a few suggestions regarding the use of a cast-iron dutch oven. The size of the dutch oven is unimportant. 4-10 quart. Look in thrift stores, flea markets, swap meets, antique stores, e-bay, etc… Old cast iron is not rare by any means. It’s durability assures that you will find a piece you can use at a price you can afford. I have found dozens suitable for bread in the $5.00 to $15 range.
The one that I use most often is a plain black Lodge 14″ 10 quart camp style. I found it in a thrift store for $20. Retails new for $120.
It is a bemouth 29 pounds of good old-fashioned made in America cast iron.
When you preheat your dutch oven, either put the lid on another shelf or leave it ajar.
It will preheat faster.
Lower your cooking temp 50 degrees. This is a common adjustment for baking in general.
Black bakeware versus silver. 25-50 degrees lower. Black cooks hotter.
I had trouble with the bottom being more done than the top.
Not actually burned but over done just the same.
I wrapped the removable bottom of a spring form pan with heavy-duty alum. foil, shiny side out.
I drop it in the dutch oven when I put the bread in. I lower the bread in on parchment.
This adds insulation to the bottom of the loaf to even out the cooking process. A round cooling rack would work as well.
Another suggestion regarding checking the temperature of your bread.
One of the most valuable tools for me is a remote probe thermometer.
These have a digital display that sits on the counter and has a wire with a probe on the end that goes in the food in the oven. They even have an alarm to tell you when you reach a preset temp.
If you don’t have one, get one. They are invaluable for all types of cooking. $12-$20.
Worth every penny.
When I remove the lid for the final baking stage I put the probe in the bread and close the oven door.
I don’t have to wait for the instant read thermometer to do it’s thing and the oven isn’t cooling off while I wait.
I get “real time” temp. updates with the oven door closed.
Happy Baking,
Darrell

Patti December 29, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Hi
Has anyone tried soy flour especailly with the sour dough NK version? Since I am on the subject of soy, I used to make my own tofu from non GM soybeans and found a recipe for the mashed skins to be toasted and dried in the oven and then be used in breads and baking. The product is called ‘akira’ or ‘okara’ and adds fiber and volume to bread and other baking. I used it once or twice and was satisfied with the results but my husband is a texture food-freak and have since stopped using it. I can post the website if anyone is interested for fiber.

Breadtopia November 9, 2008 at 2:42 pm

If you’re using it to bake no knead bread in, which calls for baking at 475-500 degrees, just make sure all parts of the casserole dish can withstand temperatures that high. Otherwise, sure.

carole November 9, 2008 at 1:50 pm

can I use a cast iron (coated) cassarole………like rachael ray sells.to bake the bread in?
Carole

Jessica May 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I often add up to 1/2 cup of flax seed meal which adds a ton of fiber (and Omega-3 though I don’t know what the baking does to the benefits) and looks pretty, too. I don’t notice much change in the taste at all. I also add wheat germ and other random fiber-y stuff I find in the fridge. It all seems to work.

Mollie April 30, 2008 at 5:54 am

I have had success adding Fibersure (psyllium husk) to bread recipes. It add calories but ups the fiber content.