How Long Does It Take To Make Bread?

I guess it really depends on how you look at it. If you’re talking about the No Knead technique, you could argue that it only takes a few minutes of work. Angie at Sassafras (the company that makes the Cloche clay bakers), on the other hand, is quite emphatic that it takes FOREVER!

I’ll admit, this drawing of hers makes a compelling argument in support of her position. :)

Bread Time

Breadtopia April 9, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Hi Sharon,

No. In fact I think the bread comes out best when you don’t.

Sharon April 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Is it necessary to pre-soak my Romertopf immediately prior to baking bread in it?

breadtopia July 4, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Hi Susan. I guess you found them… http://www.breadtopia.com/store

Susan Ayers July 4, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Where does one get the clay oven bread pots ?

Doug in Raleigh May 15, 2008 at 10:41 am

I’ve been enjoying no-knead bread since I read about it in the times, but I enjoy the almost no-knead recipe better. When I use most wholewheat flours, I use twice as much bread flour as wholewheat; however, when my wholewheat flour is King Arthur’s, I use a 50:50 blend of the flours with good results. I have yet to try the yeast you recommend (although I did buy some from you), but I have had good results with Fleischmann’s Breadmachine yeast.

Also, I noticed that in your video on the almost no-knead you say cook uncovered for 10 minutes, while the written recipe says 15 minutes. My best results are with 32 minutes covered and 13 minutes uncovered.

Doug

breadtopia May 12, 2008 at 6:23 pm

The comments aren’t posted in that category. There’s no super great way to find them all. The most recent dozen are listed under “Recent (and not so recent) Posts” in the right hand column. Otherwise, it’s a matter of going to each page (like a recipe page) and scrolling down to where the comments start.

sandy May 12, 2008 at 8:27 am

Hello. When I click on May 2008 to read all this months posts, nothing comes. What else do I need to do to read everyones comments? thanks, sandy in fl right now in nc