A New Take on Artisan Bread Baking

Bob Packer January 28, 2009 at 10:40 am

Crystal,

There are two Bosch univerals listed on Ebay at pretty good prices AT THE MOMENT. One will need a new bowl because it is broken where the doughhook/whisks connect.

Bob

Breadtopia January 27, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Hi Paul.

That’s exactly what the no knead recipe is for.

You can use SAF yeast for best results.

Paul Byrne January 27, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I love crusty white bread with large holes. The Artisan picture shown on this site is exactly what I want. Would you please post a video on making this type of bread. Also, I am strugling with yeast types and need to know a good type to start using..thank you.

Crystal August 12, 2008 at 9:57 pm

As far as mixers go…a lady on a yahoo sourdough group that I’m in bought a Bosch mixer back in 71 and has been using her’s regularly and it’s still going strong. I’ve just started making bread from scratch so I haven’t splurged to buy anything fancy yet but a Bosch is probably what I’ll get. Right now I’ve been using 2 bread machines on the dough cycle to do my whole wheat and white starter dough that I have. More then likely this is very “taxing” on the motors, I just hope they last until that one day way down the road that I’m able to afford to buy a real mixer .

breadtopia August 2, 2008 at 9:10 am

Aren’t those great? A Breadtopia reader sent them to me.

LaDawn August 1, 2008 at 11:34 am

Who carved your bread?!?! That’s so LOL funny. Is it easier with a fresh or stale loaf? Any tips for those brave enough to follow in your sourdough-shod footsteps?

breadtopia July 31, 2008 at 5:24 am

I don’t use a mixer but I’ve read plenty of raging debates on the subject on the internet. The two highest rated mixers (I think) are the Bosch and the Magic Mill by Electrolux (Swedish).

Both are super high quality and expensive but should last for ages. Consequently, there aren’t many people who’ve owned or even tried both and can offer an in depth side by side comparison. The owners are typically passionately in love with whichever they own.

I don’t like Kitchen Aid as the mixing action does not simulate kneading like the above mentioned ones do. Plus kneading heavy doughs in a typical Kitchen Aid is over taxing on the motor unless you get the higher end “professional” grade models.

Len July 29, 2008 at 6:01 pm

uhmmm, actually i was wondering what type of mixer did you use, i have been eyeing the Bosch from here and i wanted some feed back or read from others their personal experiences with the Bosch Universal Plus.

William Thompson May 26, 2008 at 12:01 am

Hi.

I “went one better” re NK bread, as a result of my essential laziness and urge to experiment. After my dough developed for a day I simply upended it into a greased bread pan, let it rise again, and then put it into a four-hundred degree F oven for half an hour. The crust was thinner but still crackly and chewy, and the inside had many, many holes. Sliced, it resembled an English muffin, and tasted great. None of the slices had holes large enough to allow butter and jam to fall through, but the smaller sizes held plenty.

I use an electric mixer with dough hooks to do the mixing. Again, my laziness…