Sicilian No Knead Bread – New Video Posted

I’ve posted a new bread recipe and video on the Breadtopia web site. Sicilian Style No Knead Bread, contributed by Ed Pillitteri, is one of my no knead favorites. You will find Ed’s original yeasted version as well as a sourdough variation.

Ed Pillitteri - Sicilian No Knead Creator

Ed Pillitteri - Sicilian No Knead Creator

The video content is more detailed than usual but the new format is designed for easier navigation from one part of the video to another. At least that’s the idea. As usual, I’d love your feedback.

For those of you who have been asking about and encouraging more video production, my sincerest apologies for the pathetically slow pace of getting these done. I do appreciate your encouragement and especially all the wonderful people I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with and learning from. It’s apparent that bread bakers are an extremely friendly lot!

One of Ed's Gems

One of Ed's Gems

This is probably it for no knead videos for a while. I’m planning a Peter Reinhart all whole grain bread video next. Also looking at flat breads and, hopefully soon, a video of Denyce (the pastry queen) making her “to live for” cream puffs and éclairs.

Fred Di Napoli April 13, 2009 at 5:54 am

Eric
I ran out of the Barley malt syrup called for in Ed Pillitteri recipe for Sicilian no-knead bread and substituted 2 tablespoons of honey. The result was lighter in color and sweeter then that produced with the original ingredient list. All who tasted it found it very pleasing and some liked it better.

Breadtopia February 2, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hi Arlene. Thanks for your comments. I haven’t delved into wheat or gluten free baking to date. The internet must be short on related info as I’m asked that quite often.

Arlene February 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for all the info. on breadmaking and the videos are the best. I am allergic to wheat and I have used your no-knead method using 100% rice flour—The taste was very good, the crust was perfect but the interior was dense. I tried using 100% unbleached spelt flour, it was not successful. I tried Bob’s Red Mill no gluten, no wheat bread flours and the result was better but still heavier than I would have liked. Do you have any recipes for bread that is gluten/wheat free? Maybe one of your readers may have some ideasl. Thank you again for all you do….Arlene

Arlene February 2, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Rob January 4, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Finally, I baked this recipe, wow what a delicious bread! I found the dough is a bit more wet and sticky than I am used too. But this is my first no knead bread. My oven does not regulate temperatures well, it will surge to 500 at times. I had to monitor it for the entire 1/2 hour bake. The crust just started to get a burn, I had to tent it with tinfoil.

Thanks for this excellent recipe that willl be baked often.

Rob's Bread

maurice December 11, 2008 at 10:47 am

just made ed pilletteri’s sicilian no knead bread. it was excellent. congratulations to you and ed.
maurice