Whole Spelt Sourdough – New Video Posted

I’ve just posted a new video for a wonderful spelt bread recipe. It’s my new all time favorite. Now I know I’m fickle and say that about practically every new recipe I try, but this time I mean it. This bread has all the qualities necessary for a deep, lasting relationship. Anyone can fall for a flaky chocolate croissant, but this is a wholesome bread you can take home to your mother. It will stay with you and is surprisingly undemanding.

Click the link above or on the photo to watch the video and get started.  Prepare to fall in love.

Whole Grain Spelt Sourdough

Whole Grain Spelt Sourdough

Ina November 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Do you think different makes of spelt taste different? I have been making spelt bread in a bread maker for 18 mths now it’s ok! Not brilliant I have started buying it again as I like that better, what is bread improver? I tried your recipe but put the oil in and it just tasted the way I don’t like!

Ina November 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hi, the recipe doesn’t have any oil in it? What purpose does oil do?

Breadtopia November 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Oil softens the dough a bit. A lot of recipes call for oil. I like a crispier crust so I typically leave it out.

Marcia November 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I’ve made Eric’s sourdough spelt a few times now, adding a few T. toasted sesame seeds, which add a heavenly aroma. Today instead of sesame I added 1/4 c. each coarse cornmeal and buckwheat flour, plus 1/4 c. additional water. The results are extremely yummy

Jim April 17, 2013 at 7:48 am

I just finished baking my first loaf of your sourdough spelt, and have to agree that it is now my favorite too. Time was running out on me the day I made the dough, so I followed your tip about letting the final proof happen in the refrigerator overnight. The loaf was perfect the next morning and baked up very nice.

Betty August 29, 2011 at 2:21 am

I would like a simple recipe for sourdough spelt whole meal and rye loaf for the oven not a breadmaker recipe. Thanks. I’ve made my rye starter for the first time!

Marilyn December 30, 2009 at 2:05 am

Hi Eric and Dave,

Eric, thanks so much for the spelt recipe. My 5 yr old daughter is now off wheat for the next 6 weeks as we are trying to figure out where the daily stomach pains are coming from. We were told that she is allowed to have some spelt but not much and that kamut would actually be beneficial to her. So thank you so much for this spelt recipe…I’m just waiting for a recipe from you using kamut flour exclusively! I am able to purchase a variety of kamut flours as I live in a major city and either organic or non-organic kamut – whole grain, or stone ground whole grain, or even white….

Dave, thanks for this yeasted version! I’ve never worked with sourdough (even though I did purchase a package of dried sourdough starter from Eric back in February of 2008 – just haven’t gotten around to reading the instructions yet!!)

So, I am wondering if you could advise me as to how much SAF yeast I should use if I am using 300gr of whole grain spelt flour and 230gr of whole grain kamut flour as Eric suggests.

Thank you both for being so generous with your recipes and words of advice! I am very appreciative.

Marilyn
Toronto, Canada

Chava December 10, 2009 at 4:50 am

I just wanted to thank you SO MUCH for the informative and simple Spelt Sourdough recipe and video. I have been wanting to make sourdough bread for years but was always a little timid. I have a great recipe for whole wheat bread that I’ve been using to make traditional challah but recently my family became “wheat free”. This bread is so good I’ve been feeding my sourdough starter every few days and making rolls for my kids’ lunches. I love the fact that it is 100% spelt,without yeast and 100% healthy.
Thank you thank you thank you!

Jo September 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

Do you mind sharing the recipe for the spelt challah, thanks,
I would like to use it for stuffing.
Jo

Dan July 7, 2009 at 9:52 am

Hi Dave,
Your bread looks superb! I have had some problems making yeasted whole spelt bread in regular loaf pans.
What happens is I get a separation between the upper crust and the rest of the bread leaving a gap inside the loaf.
This may be due to the way I shape the loaves. I was wondering what method you use to shape your loaves for bread pan loaves.
Warmest Wishes
Dan

Breadtopia April 14, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Hi Dave,

This looks awesome and thanks so much for writing it up with excellent instructions. I’ve added a link to this from the main spelt video page.

dave April 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Thank you for the Spelt video. It came along at a great time to help my restricted diet friend who is Wheat free but can eat Spelt. I used your overall guidance, plugged it into my go-to yeast bread formula, and am very pleased with the results! Luckily it makes two 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 pan loaves because this bread is a keeper. I ‘sampled’ half a loaf before even thinking of taking any photos. YUMMM!

the formula I used:
32 oz whole grain spelt flour
20 oz water
6TBS honey
1TBS sea salt
1 1/2tsp SAF red instant yeast

the method:

16 oz flour, 16 oz water and a fat pinch of yeast were brought together in a Poolish preferment, covered and left overnight at room temperature.
In the morning the rest of the ingredients were added to the ripe Poolish, mixed and then rested for 20min. Then do the folding and resting two or three times as you have shown.
Next divide, rough form, rest and final form. Proofing was done in the pans themselves for 1 – 1 1/2hrs and when risen 1″ over the top simply placed into the preheated, 425deg steamed oven for 30-35min total bake time.
Note: I needed to cover the lidless loaf pans with a foil tent after 15min or so … the whole grains and honey brown quickly!

Thanks again for a site that keeps on giving!

[img]2_DSCN3755a.JPG[/img][img]DSCN3753a.JPG[/img]