Join a Fun Bread Baking Group

Michelle Safirstein and her members over at  BigBlackDog look like they’re having a lot of fun baking bread and “hanging out” online together.

Michelle formed a baking group, HBinFive, around the popular no knead bread book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. They just started baking their way through the book in January, and will be baking together for at least the next 2 yrs. So if think you would enjoy some bread baking camaraderie with fun like minded people, now is a good time to jump in.

Judy, one of the members, says “We post our finished loaves on our recipes twice a month. It’s a fun group, and I am trying recipes I probably never would have tried. I tend to stick to favorites, and this is getting me to try new things. I LOVE the soft whole wheat sandwich bread!!!”

Here’s an example of one of the groups “Bread Braids“.

If you’d like to join HBinFive or have any questions, contact Michelle at ms dot bigblackdog at gmail dot com and she’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Tom Slatten June 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I would loved to join your group. I am a retired Food Scientist (not a baker) and enjoy baking bread. I am currently trying to make a spelt bread, with little success. I have tried th no knead sourdough spelt bread as shown on Breadtopia with no success. My initial interest would be to follow what happens on your site, thanks,
Tom Slatten Auburndale FL

Carl W. Cary October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm

74 year old , retired Air Force. I have just started to bake breads. The winter leaves me inside most of the time. To have something to do I have been teaching me, hpw to bake breads. I do believe I could enjoy learning, as well as having fun. I would love to join your group.

vandana September 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

you can add a pinch of citric acid instead of vinegar,i dont know what it does but my pure whole wheat with rye flour bread comes out great.

Larry Miller July 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm

If possible please add me to your group. I have returned to bread making after many years and enjoy it even more now.

Michelle April 3, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Olivia,

You’re more then welcome to join my Bread Group. Just send me an email at ms dot bigblackdog at gmail dot com and I will subscribe you. Even if you just read along with our Google Discussion Group you will learn quite a bit.

Michelle

Olivia April 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

HI Michelle,
I’m an amateur in baking. It would be nice to join a group like yours to learn more about baking bread.

Michelle March 30, 2010 at 10:27 am

Nicole,

You can add vinegar or beer to just about any bread recipe. Say the recipe calls for 2 cups of water, just substitute 1 cup of beer for the 1 cup of water in the recipe.

I would suggest adding 1-2 TBL of vinegar and just deduct the same amount from the water.

For other flavor boosts don’t forget about topping your bread with seeds or you can incorporate seeds right in the bread dough too. I particularly like to add sesame seeds into the dough and then top the bread with a combination of seeds; sesame, smoked sesame, fennel, pumpkin seeds and so on. Garlic is another great flavor booster and you can add Rosemary, Chives, Onion, Basil and the list goes on.

Bread is so much fun to experiment with and it’s very forgiving. But don’t forget to write down how you amended the recipe!

Michelle

Nicole S. March 23, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I’ve just made a loaf from the master recipe in “Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day,” and I found it a bit bland. I could increase the salt but what I’m really looking to do is figure out how to add a bit of vinegar, as in the Cook’s Illustrated whole wheat recipe listed on this site, to the Beer Bread recipe given in the book. I don’t know how much to use for a recipe of that size. Any suggestions?

Michelle March 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm

This is so sweet of you to take the time to write such a wonderful post.

Thanks so much…xoxox!