Mostly Spelt Whole Grain Sourdough Bread

Saturday whole grain loaf — made w/ 2/3 (about 2cups) whole spelt flour, 1/3 (about 1 cup) miscellaneous whole grain flours from our refrigerator (mostly Kamut, Eric thinks) w/ the coarse bran sifted out of those misc. flours. Added a dollop of sourdough starter, 12 oz. water, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, mixed up no-knead style. The crumb was predictably dense, like you would expect of a whole grain loaf, but not the brick we like to avoid. Really good flavor. Proofing in the cooler Fall temps encouraged a sourdough tang.

Spelt Sourdough

Baked in Oblong La Cloche

Gloria April 19, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Why does one need a proofing basket? Is this an important acoutrement? I just put the dough in a large pyrex bowl but if it really made a difference, I’d get one.
I just made up a batch of sourdough bread from starter that I had stored in the fridge while I was away for a month. It got really perky after I fed it for a couple of days. I hope I didn’t do the wrong thing by only waiting two days before baking but I was so anxious to try it.
I used a recipe that combined a King Arthur one and one from here so I added a bit of butter and less salt. I’ll let you know how it turns out and if it’s really a success, I’ll take a picture. I plan to sprinkle it with some chopped onion and a little salt since I used less in the recipe. Then an egg white wash. Hope it works!!

Maureen March 22, 2014 at 8:03 am

Can I substitute spelt flour for whole wheat in the starter recipe. Food sensitivities prevent me from using any whole wheat flour.

Doris March 5, 2013 at 6:41 am

Eric, do you have any experience with a Granary Loaf? It is a very tasty bread that is made in England and the actual flour it is made with is only available from one particular company in England. Hovis.
I know it contains malted wheat and barley flakes.
Any thoughts please:)

Breadtopia March 5, 2013 at 6:46 am

Hi Doris. No, I don’t. Do you know if Hovis exports their products?

Phil Taylor March 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Here in the U. K. Doves farm do a granary style flour called malt house flour , it is organic see: http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/flour-and-ingredients/organic-malthouse-bread-flour-x-1kg/ I do not know if they will export it. I have not seen Hovis granary flour for sale recently loaves yes but not flour. The doves farm flour does make a very tasty bread. Hope that helps. Phil Taylor

Faith Blanchard February 12, 2013 at 12:48 am

Your machine should have come with it’s own recipe book. Try the whole grain bread in there. It’ll probably be denser, but you said you don’t mind.

Mary Mulligan February 16, 2013 at 7:53 am

Many thanks Faith. Unfortunately, I inherited the machine from my son who had binned the recipe book. I tried using the whole grain but, although I said that I didnt mind, it was very dense and not something I would repeat. Anyway, again many thanks.
Mary

Mary Mulligan November 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Found the video of making spelt four bread great but would love to
have the receipe for making a starter using spelt flour. Can anybody help. Thanks

Peter.C November 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Great loaf mate, love the color, just baked off a white 30% spelt sour overnight in fridge proofing this morning Tuesday aussie time looks great cant wait for lunch.

cheers Peter

Dave Mackenzie October 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Wow! That looks like a beautiful loaf. Inspires me to get some dough mixed up again. Haven’t done a loaf for months.