No Knead Recipe Variations

Menu of No Knead Videos:
Cranberry-Pecan Seeded Sour
Parmesan-Olive Steel Cut Oats

Here are some of my favorite No-Knead bread recipes. Each is distinctly different from the others, touching on some of what’s possible with this simple and hugely time saving bread baking method.

(Note: If you’re brand new to no knead bread baking, I strongly encourage you to give the basic no knead recipe a try first before moving into the variations.)

In each of the videos you will see I’m using sourdough starter as the leavening agent. The use of sourdough starter is usually my preference in baking but as the written instructions indicate, you can just as easily substitute instant yeast for the starter by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast in with the dry ingredients and leaving out the sourdough starter entirely. It’s that simple. I don’t want to see anyone deprived of the luxury of this bread experience if instant yeast is your preference for leavening.

As always, feel free to play with different flour mixes and ingredients to come up with your ultimate bread masterpiece.

Please leave your comments, questions and experiences at the bottom of the page.

December 14th, 2007 Update: Check out Kendra’s recipe for cinnamon raisin bread below. It sounds awesome. Thanks Kendra!

Also, see the post by Joanne Polayes with her variation of the cranberry pecan recipe.

July 2008 addition: Definitely check out Carolyn’s No Knead Sourdough Lavender Bread. Wow, well done Carolyn!

Jan. 27 2009 addition: For a great looking focaccia recipe, see Hedy’s post. And a little above that, Toni offers her focaccia variation which includes whole grains.

Feb. 9, 2009: See a Newfoundland favorite by Janet Kelly. Thanks Janet!

March 31, 2009: Donna Wakefield has discovered that baking with keifer for both leavening and flavor produces excellent bread. Her posts start here and continues above under her name (“Donna” and “Donna Wakefield”).

Dec. 22, 2009: Mike Owens suggests this no-knead variation: “I blend up some frozen spinach with the water and add to the flour. Then when I fold in thirds I add some grated Gruyere cheese to each fold and I do the trifold twice. It is fantastic. Hope others like it as well. Makes my lunchbox ham sandwiches more interesting.”

Aug. 1, 2010: Couldn’t resist adding this email from my new best friend ;). It includes some great no knead recipe variation tips…

“Hi Eric,

Ever since I found your website a couple years ago, we have not bought store bread (except for burger buns and pitas). Baking bread is a complete joy for me: making it is fun, seeing the results is amazing and the reactions I get from those I share it with are gratifying. Our “daily bread” is the regular sourdough (but I add 1 tsp.poppy seeds). The olive parmesan loaf is a special treat for when we have guests (my siblings love this one especially – we’re of Greek descent =)) – but I usually add a head of mashed roasted garlic to it.

I have even created my own sourdough KNM variation that I thought I’d share with you. Feel free to post it, if you’d like. It’s the basic NKM sourdough with 1/4c. chopped, pickled jalepenos and about 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese mixed in. I was selling them to a neighbor for awhile, but then she started a weight-loss program that forbid bread (scary, huh?).

I currently take care of my elderly mother full-time, but all this bread-baking has led me to seriously consider baking as a career. I fondly imagine my own little bakery someday.

You have changed my life, Eric. Bet you don’t hear that everyday, but it’s true. Thank you.

– Elise Davies

Jan 1, 2011: Check out Bill Burk’s variation using 7 grain cereal. Makes an excellent sandwich bread.

Feb 27, 2011: Michelle Kaptor’s Cherries and Chocolate No Knead recipe looks like a winner.

Sep 9, 2011: Thanks Lisa K. for this gem – Black Russian  no knead. Based on a bagel recipe, it’s as intriguing and exotic as its name.

Oct 17, 2011: Like Chocolate… a lot? Chocolate no knead recipe with great tips. Thanks Bart!

Mar 9, 2012: Here’s another Chocolate Cherry Sourdough version from Bradley that looks like a winner

Cranberry-Pecan Extraordinaire (makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups (13 oz.) all purpose or bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 1/2 cups purified water
1/4  cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

(Read paragraph near top of page for instant yeast version of this recipe)

• Combine the flours and salt
  • Mix the starter into the water until mostly dissolved
  • Mix the water/starter solution into the dry ingredients
  • Mix in the pecans and craisins
  • Cover bowl with plastic at let sit at room temperature for 18 hours
  • After 18 hours turn dough onto well floured surface and gently flatten enough to fold dough back onto itself a couple times to form a roundish blob. Note: This folding stage can be accomplished within the bowl, speeding up the process even further and leaving less of a cleanup.
  • Cover blob with plastic and let rest 15 minutes. During this rest period, coat a proofing basket or towel lined bowl with bran flakes.
  • Gently and quickly shape blob into an approximate ball and place in proofing basket or bowl.
  • Cover with a towel and let rise for 1-2 hours depending on room temperature.
  • As gently as possible, flip the dough into a Dutch oven or ceramic (e.g. La Cloche) baker preheated to 500F degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes at 450 degrees. See Great No-Knead Baking Techniques for more tips.
  • Allow bread to cool completely before slicing and eating. Warning: this most difficult step requires superhuman discipline and restraint.

You may have to adjust the baking times and temperatures to adapt to the various weights and materials of different baking containers.

Return to top of page

Seeded Sour (makes 1 loaf)

This recipe holds a solid spot on my “all time favorites” list. It is adapted from the George’s Seeded Sour recipe in Nancy Silverton’s Breads from the La Brea Bakery book.

1/4 cup (1 oz) rye flour

Seed Topping Ingredients:

1 Tbs. amaranth
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
2 Tbs. anise seeds
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds

Combine all the dry ingredients (except the topping ingredients) and then add to that the combined wet ingredients.
The rest of the baking steps are the same as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan bread.

As shown in the video, I coat the proofing basket with the combined topping ingredients so they stick to the dough during the final rise.

Return to top of page

Parmesan-Olive (makes 1 large loaf)

This recipe makes one amazing loaf of bread. It’s great for special occasions, and considering the price of ingredients, you may want to reserve it for special occasions. Use fresh parmesan cheese and it’s likely you will not find this loaf’s equivalent in any bakery. They would have to charge too much!

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups (13 1/2 oz.) bread flour
1 tsp. salt
7 oz. grated fresh parmesan cheese
2/3 cup pitted kalamata olives (cut in half lengthwise)
1 3/4 cup purified water
1/4 cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Follow the same steps as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan recipe. Combine the dry ingredients (including the cheese) then add to that the combined wet ingredients and then stir in the olives. The ingredient measurements are a little different than usual as the cheese is salty to start with and the dry mix takes more water than usual.

Here’s a video from Breadtopia visitor, Archer Yates… Nice!

Return to top of page

Steel Cut Oats (makes 1 loaf)

It’s amazing what the addition of a mere half cup of steel cut oats can do to enhance and vary the quality of a basic loaf of no knead bread. During the long fermentation period, the grains soften and swell to give the bread a wholesome and satisfying flavor and texture.

Simple enough to whip together in a heartbeat and interesting enough to become a regular in your no knead rotation.

3/4 cup (3 oz.) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (3 oz.) steel cut oats
2 1/4 cups (10 oz.) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup firm sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Pictured here: Awesome steel cut oats no knead by Breadtopia reader Marianne Preston
Marianne's Steel Cut Oats NK
Another Breadtopia reader, Allan Castine, offered this…

In my last e-mail to you, I mentioned that I had made your steel cut oats bread recipe with mostly excellent results.  My only concern, as I told you, was that the bread was a bit bland for my particular taste.

I made the recipe again yesterday with a couple of alterations:

I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt and, following a suggestion from a friend of mine, I lightly toasted the oats in a dry saucepan over medium heat before adding them to the flour mixture.

The results were great. The bread was very tasty, i.e., not bland.
Return to top of page

LouG October 16, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Well my second loaf turned out great! Lovely and springy and malty.

Delza – I have been using a cheap lidded pyrex (glass) casserole dish which has worked well. Also, after seeing the oblong clay baker in the video and realising they are impossible to find in the UK, I just experimented with a white no-knead dough, turning it into a large normal loaf tin heated in the oven. I covered it with tin foil and removed it for the last 15 mins. It has just come out of the oven looking rather good I must say. I’d say just try it!

Breadtopia October 16, 2008 at 10:25 am

Nice, Lou!

Delza – are you talking about putting the ceramic liner from your slow cooker in the oven? If so, that might work but make sure the lid can withstand the high oven heat.

delza October 15, 2008 at 10:05 pm

i like to try NKB but i don’t have dutch oven, can i bake it in my slow cooker? also can i use active dry yeast for instant yeast?

LouG October 15, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Just baking my second no-knead loaf now. 1st loaf was fantastic – this one has grown into a monster – I have high hopes! Using an organic malted bread flour with added linseeds and sesame seed topping. Mmmmmmmm – can’t wait. The last no-knead tasted far better than any of my other breadmaking efforts. Some great variations on here too thanks!

Marge October 14, 2008 at 6:56 am

I was told when baking with convection, the sides of your dish should be no higher than 1 1/2 “. Having your bread covered does not let the air circulate around. I would not use convection when baking this bread.

Breadtopia October 14, 2008 at 6:30 am

Hi Joanne.

You might have to adjust the temp or time down a little to compensate for the convection. Personally, I haven’t found any need to do so, but at least one person I know of did find a small adjustment helped. It would probably be a bigger issue if the bread weren’t “hiding” inside a cloche or Dutch oven.

Joanne October 13, 2008 at 12:28 am

I loved looking at the videos. I am fairly new to breadmaking and ready to buy my first banneton and am fascinated with the La Cloche (which I am unfamiliar with) as I have only used bread pans over the years. I have a convection oven. Should I reduce the temperature by 25 degrees to allot for the convection? I made bread today (the first time in years) and in called for a banneton, which I didn’t know what it was until I started searching and came across this site. I can’t wait to buy the sourdough starter and see how I do. I am great at baking and jam making, so I don’t know why I haven’t made too much bread. Maybe things will change with the no knead recipes.

Sherry October 12, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Hey, Teri — I honestly did not give a thought to the dried cranberries, but your observation makes perfect sense — of course, they absorb moisture. I’ll pay more attention to the hydration as I experiment. Thanks for your help!
Sherry

Teri October 7, 2008 at 9:02 am

Sherry, from my understanding the crumb and rise have to do with the hydration, so whenever I add extras that are dehydrated or absorb liquid (like steel cut oats or dried cranberries) I add extra water for those ingredients to absorb. This seemed to make a difference in my loaves.
Happy baking! -yea for cooler weather!
Teri

Sherry October 7, 2008 at 12:08 am

Hi Teri, I guess you’re saying that I can slow down the rise in the frig, and/or I can make the full recipe, store in frig & just bake half at a time — that would be more efficient than mixing up half recipes each time. I’ll give it a try, thanks. I discovered this weekend that at October temps, I can go with the c. 18-hour rise; it was August when I got a 4-hour rise.
Here’s a strange thing — I mixed half-recipes of the cran-pecan & the olive (minus the parmesan), at the same time, using same starter & what I thought was equivalent hydration. On the long rise, the olive dough rose to about triple the volume of the cran/pecan, which seemed to just sit there. The cran baked up ok, but flattish & not great, while the olive loaf is gorgeous with wonderful crumb. Huh?? Is there something about cranberries that inhibits the beasties? Or about olives (extra salt, maybe?) that stimulates them?

Teri N October 4, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Sherry, I have combined the cooking methods of NKB from Breadtopia and the recipe proofing from the book “Artisan Bread in 5-Minutes a Day” The book makes a large wet dough, proofs for 2hours then refrigerate up to 2 weeks using the amount you want for what you are cooking. It has several basic doughs that are used for the rest of the cookbook. Breadtopia’s cooking technique is so easy that I haven’t used the book’s technique. The flavor of the dough changes during the time that you leave in the refrigerator. The second time I made this I used the same container without washing it and the dough was a great sourdough…although my family is/are not a fan of sourdough.
Happy bread baking!
Teri

Sherry October 4, 2008 at 11:37 am

Oddly, I did compensate on the third loaf and used less water, but got the exact same insides. Maybe I do need a longer baking time, maybe my oven temp is a little off. I’ll try that, thanks! And I will try less starter for a longer rise. What I don’t understand about the first (long) rise — if you aren’t watching, and it peaks and deflates, is that a problem? Will it still do a normal proofing after you shape the loaf?

Breadtopia October 4, 2008 at 11:03 am

No reason at all you can’t halve the recipe. Are you sure you’re letting them bake long enough to solve the damp, gluey inside? You might try adding a little more flour to the recipe to compensate for the more liquidy starter. Also, you could reduce the amount of starter you use in order to increase the time it takes to rise all the way. I wouldn’t punch down the dough though, it’s normal for no knead recipes to finish the rise long before the 18 hour mark.

You can also experiment with going 12-14 hours (or whatever) on the long rise. 18 hours isn’t a hard and fast rule.

I imagine that with a little more playing around with it, you’ll arrive at something that works for your unique set of circumstances.

Good luck!

Eric

Sherry October 3, 2008 at 9:05 pm

What a great website!!!
I need to make smaller loaves — is there any reason these recipes can’t simply be halved? I’ve been experimenting — this week, I’ve made the plain , the cran-pecan, & the oat, all 1/2-recipe, all using part white whole wheat. All came out tasty but just a bit damp & gluey inside; I don’t know what variable to change. I’m using my great starter that a friend gave me 35 yrs ago (saying it had been passed down for c. 70 yrs, so I guess it’s now a true antique; it’s one of my most treasured possessions!). I tend to keep it liquid-y. When freshly fed, it causes a 4 or 5-hour rise, & I don’t know what to do about that either! Can I just keep punching the dough down till the 18-hour mark? Thanks for any suggestions . . .

Marge October 2, 2008 at 3:18 pm

I made this today, and it’s fantastic!! I let it rise for 14 hrs. The first sour dough loaf I made (not this recipe), was too sour, so I shortened the time, and this one turned out perfect. I use my Pampered Chef Stone baker. If I want to make a regular loaf, I also use the PC stone bread pan, and cover it with another. I put parchment paper in a bowl to let it rise for about 2 hrs., and then just lift it into the preheated baker. I am really impressed with this easy way of baking bread.

Breadtopia October 1, 2008 at 4:33 am

You just have to make adjustments for whatever your room temperature is. In Malaysia, the adjustment is going to be reducing the proofing times. When it’s warm and humid (or just warm), you can and should probably cut back on the long proof to about 12 hours and about 1 hour on the second proof. By “proof”, I also mean “rise”. There is no specific temperature everyone has to adhere to with these no knead recipes.

Alternatively, if you want to prolong the proofing times you can experiment with using your refrigerator to slow things down. Just requires some experimenting.

Malaysia has been added to the mailing list.

patricia September 30, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Hi there,

Interested in purchasing the danish dough whisk. Malaysia is not in your mailing list . Is it posible to purchase it?

patricia September 30, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Hi there,

you mentioned “room temperature”, would like to know what is the actual temperature. I live in Malaysia. Thank you

breadtopia July 31, 2008 at 5:57 am

Thanks so much, Carolyn. This sounds truly fantastic. I’m going to look for some lavender and give it a try.

I’ve added a link (near the top of this page) to your post so people can find it easier.

Carolyn July 30, 2008 at 11:39 am

Well the cool weather arrived so I tried making the lavender bread I mentioned earlier. Below is the recipe I actually used. I made a couple of small boo-boos, but nothing dramatic. For one thing I put the just-mixed dough into the fridge for 2 hours (oops).

Carolyn’s No Knead Sourdough Lavender Bread
12 oz (2½ C) bread flour
4 oz (½ C) White whole wheat flour
¼ Cup sourdough starter (very active)
1½ tsp coarse sea salt
½ Cup buttermilk substitute: ½ C non-fat milk + 1½ tsp white vinegar
1/6 Cup oil
1/8 Cup fresh culinary lavender (I grow my own, an English variety)
note: Use only 1/3 to 1/2 as much if using dried lavender
Enough filtered water to get to about 12 oz. of liquid total on the scale (but mostly until the dough looked wet. I don’t have an exact measurement, I was banking of the recipe being “forgiving”.)

After 18 hours I folded it, let it rest 15 min.. Shaped it, covered it, and left at room temp. for 2 hours. Then baked covered in my “frugal cloche” at 500 for 20 min., then uncovered at 450 for 10 min. until internal temperature measured 205.

To make sure the loaf didn’t stick to the cover I made a narrow collar of parchment, and it worked very well. The loaf was constrained by the diameter of the cover and was forced to rise into a nice spherical shape.

It all worked out well. The bread tastes wonderful. Although the fragrance of the lavender seemed rather strong while wet, the baking produced a lightly aromatic result with a very pleasant flavor — an interesting transformation. It’s a lighter flavor than rosemary.

As to the effects of using buttermilk and oil, I’m not certain. The texture is about the same. My husband thinks the crust is a bit softer. Other, more experienced bakers could probably provide a better comparison.

Thanks for the advise encouragement. I love this site!

Carolyn

breadtopia July 30, 2008 at 10:10 am

Hi Irina,

Baking at altitude definitely has its challenges. There are several user comments scattered about on this site on the subject. Finding them is the hard part.

I’ve just added a search window to the top of the column to the right. If you enter “altitude” several references come up and you can click on the big blue letters of the page heading which will take you to the page where the comments are. Then you can scan the page for the highlighted search words. (At the bottom of the original search query are the words “Older Results”. Click there too for more search results.)

To save you some time, here are several links that will take you directly to some of these comments…
Baking at High Altitudes
Baking at High Altitudes
Baking at High Altitudes
Baking at High Altitudes
Baking at High Altitudes
Baking at High Altitudes

irina July 26, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Hi, I live in Colorado Springs, it’s 6,000 altitude. I am not sure if that’s the reason why I cannot seem to get any holes in my bread. Do you have any suggestions. I am lucky my bread is not flat. And it seems that all my bread come out differently every time I bake them. please help me. Thanks.

Carolyn July 19, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I’ll definitely let you know how it goes. It may be a while before I try it; with summer weather and no air conditioning, I generally don’t want to fire the oven up until we get a few cool days.

I like your suggestion to add new ingredients in increments. I’ve been keeping a log, so I’m pretty sure I can duplicate the successes I’ve had on my last few loaves. And I’ll be able to keep track of each new trial.

Tomorrow I’m going to the Lavender Festival in Sequim, WA, and I’ve been harvesting the lavender in my yard so I’m all excited about trying new recipes.

Thanks for your help!

breadtopia July 19, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Hi Carolyn,

It’s a tough call for me to tell how different ingredients might effect the outcome without just trying it. If I were to attempt this, I’d just add the ingredients to the basic no knead recipe and see what happens. You can definitely add oil and buttermilk in addition to the rosemary.

A conservative way to approach it is to add the ingredients in increments with each loaf baked so you can get an idea of the effect of each.

It would help if you’ve already baked the NK bread a number of times so you’re familiar with the consistency of the dough. That way, when you start adding new ingredients, like buttermilk, you’ll also know how to adjust the flour, if necessary, to keep the consistency where you want it.

I’ve found the NK method to be extremely flexible and forgiving so I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up with something very nice. If you give this recipe a whirl, I’d love to hear how it goes for you.

Carolyn July 19, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I recently found this recipe (below) that uses lavender (or rosemary) and I’d like to duplicate it using the NK method. One option would be to simply add lavender to my dough. But… being such a novice I’m wondering about the buttermilk and olive oil — how do they change the character of the bread? And, second, can I use buttermilk and/or olive oil in my NK bread? If so can you tell me what the measurements should be (or a close approximation).
Thanks!

The Recipe:
3 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water (120F)
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh rosemary or fresh lavender blossoms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon salt
6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)

breadtopia June 28, 2008 at 3:20 am

It’s a great thought. I think it would work to keep the dough from sticking to the banneton. The problem I think would be the Parmesan cooking onto whatever baking surface you’re using and causing a huge smokey mess that’s very hard to clean up.

Russ June 26, 2008 at 8:24 pm

So I’m thinking about doing the parm-olive (sourdough) no-knead again and I had a thought: Do you think that grated Parmesan would work in the bannetton in place of the wheat bran? It sounds like a tasty alternative to me, but it would be a big waste if the bread stuck and got ruined.

Russ

breadtopia June 23, 2008 at 10:10 am

Good questions.

Yes, you can leave starter out too long. Of course there are all kinds of variables like strain of starter and room temperature, for example, but I generally don’t leave my starter out more than 6 hours after refreshing it. If it’s going to be much longer than that I just put it back in the fridge until I need it.

Starter will continue to feed and grow in the fridge, just at a much slower rate. Seems to me (rough guess here) that 12-18 hours in the fridge is about the same as 4-6 on the counter.

You can also over rise it. This is pretty easy to do. Again it’s hugely dependent on the room temp. In the summer, I rarely proof over an hour on the final rise. 1 1/2 when it’s cooler.

To max out the oven spring, I try to err on the early side with proofing. Better than being too late. It’s the same principle as the starter. It tends to “run its course” after a certain point.

After a few million loaves, you develop a sense for the timing on all this. I’ve only got a half million or so to go. ;)

Hedy June 22, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Dear Eric:
Your ears must be ringing. Since I discovered breadtopia in Nov. 2007 I have turned your website unto several friends. They are in love with the KNB method. I am no longer “queen” of the home-made bread baking. But that’s okay…because you are so generous with your knowledge…I too want to be able to pass on what I know. When I love something, I can’t stop raving about it and/or the people who must get the credit.

Quickie 2 questions: When refreshing the sourdough starter, can you leave the starter out too long and destroy the potency of the starter? So far I do about 12 hours maximum when I refresh the starter, but I am wondering if I do it the night before and leave it out all night…is that too much?) What is the max time for leaving it out?

2nd question: After you put the KNB dough in the corn-mealed baskets, can you over rise it….and then there will be no oven-spring left. What is the maximum time to to that rise? (so far I don’t do more than 2 hours).

Thank you again for all your help.
Hedy

Teri June 12, 2008 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the info Russ (and Eric). I appreciate your time/knowledge. Some day when I’m not LOVING the NKB I may try this adventure w/ kneading.

Russ June 9, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Hi, I just wanted to jump in and comment on the old dough (AKA pate fermente) method being discussed. It is usually done with commercial yeast as far as I’ve seen. Also, it is usually kneaded into the dough to which it is being added, rather than added to the water. Since we’re discussing No Knead bread here, I guess that isn’t quite an option. Something that comes to mind is adapting the method that Rose Levy Berenbaum uses for firm (doughlike) sourdough starter. She recommends tearing the starter into several pieces to add to the dough. This seems like a method that should work well here.

Here’s a couple of good articles on preferments including the old dough method:
and

breadtopia June 9, 2008 at 10:56 am

I guess it doesn’t die off after the first use then. Maybe the second use???

Teri June 9, 2008 at 10:52 am

I did use it anyway, and am chewing a wonderful piece of wheat/oat/sunflower seed bread! I didn’t knead it, not sure where the clumps are.

breadtopia June 9, 2008 at 10:35 am

The reason I ask is because I’m pretty sure the method you’re referring to, which I think is called the “old dough method”, only works with sourdough leavened dough. Commercial yeast will die off after the first use, but wild yeast will perpetuate itself indefinitely, as long as you continue to feed it more flour and water.

As for the dough being clumpy and not wanting to break down, that’s another story and I don’t know how people deal with it using the old dough method. It may just be a matter of breaking it up into many small pieces and kneading like crazy into the new dough.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

Teri June 9, 2008 at 10:04 am

I used dry yeast leavened dough. Would that make much of a difference? Is yeast more adhesive than sourdough?

breadtopia June 8, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Have you been trying this with wild yeast (sourdough starter) leavened bread dough or commercial yeast (like the dry yeast you buy in packets) leavened dough?

Teri June 8, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Loving NKB baking! Read that some people save a bit of dough to use as a sort of starter, keeping it in the frige. I attempted this, then tried to melt/dissolve in the water prior to adding to the dough -however the little ball of dough would not break down. It was like elastic and really liked itself, I tried breaking it apart w/ my fingers & a fork and used warm water. I would end up with clumps some soft some like silly putty. Any suggestions? I would love to use this method. Does this ball need to be room temp before trying to integrate it?

Howie, the neon guy May 27, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Well Eric.. you were right!
The Parm-Olive bread was a big hit tonight at a dinner party. The texture was amazing not to mention the aroma.
To all of those readers who are wondering if they should make one… YOU SHOULD!

Still waiting for an old fashion Jewish Rye recipe.

Have fun baking.

Howie, the neon guy!

breadtopia May 16, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Hi Howie,

My guess wouldn’t be any better than yours. This recipe is just slightly adapted from one out of the La Brea Bakery book.

Howie aka Mr. Neon May 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Could you explain what the yogurt does in the Seeded Sour?
I can’t imagine that it imparts any flavor. Perhaps the L. Acidophlus
does something. Any thoughts?

Howie

Dave Reich April 19, 2008 at 8:49 am

Let me add a tip to my previous comment about using cheese in the recipe:

Since the cheese will tend to stick to what ever pot you bake it in, I throw some flour or corn meal into the pot right before adding the dough. Also, you might need to take knife or spatula around the perimeter of the finished loaf to free it from the sides to get it to pop out.

Dave Reich April 17, 2008 at 5:18 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve added about 6 oz. of grated, sharp cheddar to the basic recipe with great results.

breadtopia April 17, 2008 at 7:38 am

I would just add some grated cheese when initially mixing up all the ingredients without changing anything else. It may take some trial and error to come up with just the right amount for you. I’d probably start with about a cup of loosely graded Asiago since it’s pretty strong.

This would probably make a great tasting bread. If you end up with something you like, please let us know what you did!

Ken Krawford April 17, 2008 at 6:46 am

I’ve been making NoKnead bread for a couple of weeks and found that I’ve really “Drank the Kool-Aid”. I’m ready to try a few new things and first on my list is Asiago Cheese Bread.
Does anyone have any tips on how to tweak the basic NoKnead receipe to produce Asiago Bread?
Thanks.
Ken

breadtopia April 9, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Hi Howie,

I’m not sure what to say about the kalamata olives. I live in a small town and have exactly one choice of those particalar olives. They’re pitted!

I usually just stick the bread in a plastic bad and deal with softened crust the next day. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with covering just the exposed crumb with foil and storing the bread in a bag made out of bamboo fabric. So far the results have been good. Bread stays fresh and crust crispier.

Sherry Schneider, Newcastle, Me. April 8, 2008 at 2:44 pm

April 7, 2008

I just received the No Knead Bread Recipe from a friend. We were dining at his home and he brought the bread to the table. Assuming it was bakery bought, I asked where I could purchase it. He told me he made it himself! I was stunned when I looked at the recipe. I have been making it nonstop for a week, alternating between whole wheat and white. I decided to look on the website to see if there were any variations and, “lo and behold” I stumbled onto this website. I can’t wait to try the many variations that all of you have submitted. Thanks

Howie Cohen aka The Neon Guy April 7, 2008 at 9:23 am

You may have missed the question the first time around so here it goes again.
Tell me about the Kalamata Olives that you use for your bread. I think the oil cured would work best. Any thoughts?
Also how do you store your bread after you bake it? (assuming there is some left to keep) Once I cut into it, if I place it in plastic, I am sure the crust will soften.
I also don’t want it to dry out.

Love the Pecan-Cran. I made it this weekend with along with a variation using walnuts, cinnamon and raisins.
Yum!

Howie Cohen
Utica, NY

Toni Van Duyne April 6, 2008 at 11:36 am

Bob and Kay,
You can soften the bread crust by putting it in a ziplock bag while still hot the moisture will soften the crust quite a bit. Be careful not to make it too soft though! Hope it works out!
Toni

Barbara Ross April 2, 2008 at 4:37 pm

What do you think would happen if we took any regular bread recipe and adapted it by using only 1/4 tsp of yeast and letting it rise for 18 hours. Has anybody tried any and can they post the recipes if they have?
BArb

Howie April 1, 2008 at 7:25 am

I have a question for you about the Parmesan-Olive loaf.
What type of Kalamata olives do you use? I noticed oil cured, in water, and even other types as well. Which work the best?

Howie Cohen
Utica, NY

ps. And yes.. for special occasions only. The parm was a small fortune.