Sourdough No Knead Method

The process of making a sourdough leavened no-knead loaf (at least the way I do it) is almost identical to the instant yeast variety. I just substitute 1/4 cup of sourdough starter for the 1/4 tsp. instant yeast.

Of course, working with sourdough can alter things quite a bit depending on how wet you keep your starter and how healthy it is. Some starters are very liquidy and can be poured out of their containers. I keep mine pretty thick. It has to be spooned out of the jar. I go into quite a bit of detail on how I manage my starter in the various related videos.

That said, here’s the most basic recipe that I use quite frequently.

• 1 cup (5 oz.) whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups (11 oz.) white bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups purified water
  • 1/4 cup starter

The baking times and all that are the same as the basic no-knead method. So you can easily just watch that video but follow this recipe. I usually bake the bread at 500° for 30 minutes with the lid on and then remove the lid and continue baking for 15 more minutes at 450°.

You might have noticed that there’s a bit of difference between what I say in the video regarding recipe quantities and what’s written. The weights shown are probably more precise, but you should be fine either way as there is a fair amount of leeway in this recipe.

Generally speaking, the wetter your dough the bigger the holes will be, which many people really like. However, a drier dough will make it easier to get the bread to rise while baking, giving you greater “oven spring” and a more spherical loaf versus a pancake. With practice, you’ll get so you can come closer to predicting how your bread will turn out just based on the consistency of the dough when you’re mixing all the ingredients together. You can adjust the amount of water and flour to get the consistency that suits you best.

Many people want to know how to make their bread more sour. Breadtopia reader, Rhine Meyering, enjoys success with this by using just 1/8 cup of sourdough starter and extending the fermentation time by refrigerating the dough. Click this link to his October 7, 2007 post to read what he says. It makes a lot of sense based on my understanding of sourdough baking too.

Also, click the following link to Ariela’s post of November 25th, 2007 where she describes her success with the sourdough no knead method using spelt flour. She includes the actual recipe she uses too – very nice.

No Knead Revisited – A Three Year Check UpIt’s been over 3 years since the original New York Times no knead bread recipe was published. That’s also about the same time Breadtopia was born. By far the most common difficulty people write or call in about is with the dough being too wet to handle at the end of the long first proofing period and also when it’s time to place the dough into a covered vessel to bake at the end of the second rise.

When you run into this, there’s not a whole lot you can do about it other than attempt to follow through on the instructions and ultimately wrest the dough into your heated baker and into the oven. Your “mistake” may turn out better than you expected and if nothing else, you’ll learn from it. The next time around you can do one or a combination of a couple things differently.

1. Add more flour and or use less water than you did the first time. Dough has a way of getting more slack as it sits for many hours so if you start off with the dough being a little stiffer than you think it should be, that’s fine and maybe it’ll be easier to handle later.
  2. Consider reducing the long proofing time by several hours. Don’t get stuck on the idea of 18 hours. Depending on your room temperature and humidity, 18 hours may result in over proofing. When dough proofs too long, the gluten breaks down, the yeast looses some oomph and it can just get downright soupy. Most of the time, I find 12-14 hours to be about right. If you want or need to prolong the proofing time, but don’t want to risk over proofing, stick the dough in the fridge for several hours or overnight. That will slow things down a lot. Then resume proofing at room temp until it’s ready to bake.

The same principle holds true on the second rise. While 1-2 hours is the suggested range, I’m almost always at about 60 to 75 minutes.

Another concern we hear a lot is about the dough not rising much during that second short proofing period. I don’t see mine rise much then either and it doesn’t matter so long as you see a good rise during the first several minutes that the dough is in the oven. That’s called oven spring and it’s a very good thing. By keeping your proofing periods on the shorter side, you’re more likely to get good oven spring from the still vigorous yeast or sourdough starter.

Of course all of the above is assuming your yeast or sourdough starter is fresh and viable to start with.

In summary, most problems can be helped or solved by stiffening the dough a little and/or shortening the rising times.

If you’re new to bread baking, don’t think from reading this that it’s difficult or tricky to get great results. Most people find it a breeze and enjoy success right out of the blocks. Others may find it takes a few tries. It’s important to have fun with it and don’t worry about bombing. There’s no significant downside to bread baking but the upside can be fabulous. Enjoy!

March 20th, 2010 update: Beadtopia reader, Beth Adams, emailed this:

I have been a follower and contributer (through the comments sections) to the site for a few years. I just tried something that I wanted to share. I added a tsp. of lavender to the regular sourdough recipe and had great results when using it for sandwiches. Hope you are able to enjoy it!

For more no-knead recipes using sourdough, check out No-Knead Recipe Variations.

Mary Sue Sylwestrzak October 17, 2007 at 11:39 am

Well, it had to happen eventually…I have experienced bread failure [/head hanging in shame]. When I measured out the ingredients, I really thought the dough was too wet–literally poured into the bowl. I went and checked the video, thought I might be close, and went ahead. Good first rise, but still very wet; could barely shape it into any kind of boule. Ok 2nd rise, but not spectacular; about 4 “coils” below the top of the proofing bowl I purchased from you. When I went to invert the bowl over my cloche, the skin stuck to the bowl, even though I had sprayed it with Pam and used cornmeal and flour. Of course, the rest deflated on being so rudely dumped into the cloche. Since the cloche was preheated and everything, I put it in anyway, figuring I had nothing to lose. When I took the lid off, the whole thing was only about 2 inches high (I immediately went and started another batch for a try tomorrow). Once it was cool enough to handle, I pulled it open. The outside was burnt, the inside still slightly gummy, although in it’s defense, there was actually a good open crumb and a slight tang…..

I’m not sure if I mismeasured the water or misweighed the flour. My second attempt looks much stiffer; this time I just measured the flours with measuring cups. I was flipping back and forth online between the two NKB recipes, and I see that the yeast added one only uses 3C of flour, and the sourdough 3 1/2; maybe that’s where I got confused.

Oh, well, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again!
Mary Sue

rlabohn October 16, 2007 at 7:49 am

ps..i forgot..the bread went into a cold oven(my pot was not preheated…saved alot of mess and time…baked at 450 degrees

rlabohn October 16, 2007 at 7:47 am

hi eric,,here’s an update on my sourdough efforts; i used Carls starter and the following recipe; 1 cup of starter,almost 2 teaspoons of salt,3 cups of KA bread flour,and 1cup plus 2 oz of water..let it go for 12 hours,then a 15 minute rest on a lightly floured board..then into my baking pot for the second rise..31/2 hours…baked covered for 1 hr…the result…fabulous fabulous,,nice spring and lovely holes….i am now addicted…..thanks to you

breadtopia October 13, 2007 at 11:57 am

I just received an email from Nate Wilke with a photo of his first loaf of no knead sourdough. He used the Rhine Meyering delayed fermentation technique (see Oct. 7th post above) for a more sour taste. Flour was all KA "select artisan 100% organic AP flour". The bread was baked in a La Cloche clay baker.

Awesome looking bread, Nate. The crust looks perfect.

Sourdough no knead bread

No Knead Sourdough Crumb

No Knead Sourdough Crumb II

breadtopia October 13, 2007 at 5:27 am

Hi Jana,

Wow, that is VERY interesting. Just one tsp of starter, who would have guessed? Nice job of sleuthing that one out.

This might also be the solution to the problem some have with baking in hot and humid weather, where the dough proofs way too fast.

Thanks a lot!

Eric

Jana Menefee October 12, 2007 at 1:55 pm

I was finally able to get the sourdough no knead to work for me. I cut my starter back to 1 teaspoon since I suspected that it was overproofing (the starter I have has been the most lively I’ve ever used since it was brand new) I also increased the white flour to 16 oz. keeping the whole wheat & flax meal the same. Seemed to do the trick. The last batch both looked and tasted great, the texture was very nice.

breadtopia October 8, 2007 at 5:58 am

Hi Jena,

It’s hard for me to tell why you’re not getting good results with the sourdough starter. It seems more likely than not that the problem is with the starter itself. It may not be healthy enough. I use my oblong la cloche all the time with great results so I kinda don’t think you’ll see an improvement with another container. In fact the narrowish sides of the oblong cloche should be an added benefit.

When you feed your starter and leave it out at room temperature, does it about double in volume before it starts to fall back again? If you take a cup of starter and add a cup of flour and 2/3 – 3/4 cup of water, you should see about a doubling of the volume. You don’t have to start with exactly a cup of starter. In testing, it just helps to add as much flour as the amount of starter you are starting with. And then add an equal weight of water to the amount of flour.

breadtopia October 7, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Thanks a lot for this post, Rhine. Many people are interested in knowing how to make their bread more sour and this looks like something that should work reliably for most people.

I’ve added a paragraph to the baking instructions above, directing people to your post. If you have a digital camera and feel like emailing a photo or two, I’d love to post them. Not that a photo can quite capture the flavor, but it’s fun to put an image with the story.

Nice going on your results.

Eric

Rhine Meyering October 7, 2007 at 11:15 am

I went nuts this weekend and made 3 different no-knead loaves. First was all white flour. I’ve read on other websites that longer ferments with LESS starter is the key to getting a more sour taste. I used about 1/8 cup of starter and put the dough in the fridge for 2 days. I then took it out and gave it 18 hours at room temp. The dough was extra soft, but it held its shape and baked up fine. The loaf came out great with extra large holes and that nice sourdough taste I was looking for. I also made a white/wheat, and one with steel cut oats. Both came out good. I gave the oat loaf a quick spritz of water before putting in in the la cloche, and it seemed to smooth out the crust. Thanks for launching this site. I hadn’t heard of no-knead before, but after just one loaf it’s my new favorite!

Barbara May 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Hello Rhine,
At what stage do you put the dough in the fridge for 2 days? Do you keep it 18-24 hours to ferment it in room temperature first and then move to the fridge and take it out for another 18h? Is it about 4 days all together?
Thanks,
Barbara

Celeste February 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

Do you cover the dough with anything, like cheese cloth? I tried the cheese cloth and notice that after just one day the surface of the dough is really hard and dry. I thought of wrapping it in plastic, but that might stop the fermenting.

Jana Menefee October 6, 2007 at 3:23 pm

oh, I posted pictures of my no-kneed sourdough at sourdough@yahoogroups.com home page. One of our group members said my crumb looked fine. According to him he had better results with a much smaller container. I haven’t had a chance to try that yet – have to aquire a smaller casserole pan or something. My starter seems to work find in other recipes, by the way. I’m sure that’s important information.

Jana Menefee October 6, 2007 at 3:19 pm

the instant yeast version turned out fine.
I use an oblong la cloche. I don’t know if they make several sizes of them or not, could the cloche be too big?

breadtopia October 4, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Hi Jana,

Is it just the sourdough no knead recipe you’re having problems with? Have you had good results with the instant yeast version of the same thing?

Jana Menefee October 4, 2007 at 3:10 pm

I’ve just finished my fourth try at your no kneed sourdough. Once again I’ve gotten a very dense, brick that’s about 1 1/2 ” high. Last time I tried doubling the recipe, thinking that my cloche was oversized or something. I just wound up with a larger brick. I’m weighing all ingredients carefully. Following directions. What I’m getting is inedible. Can’t figure out what’s going wrong.

breadtopia September 14, 2007 at 11:41 am

Here’s some photos from Frank’s clearly successful baking venture.

Frank’s comments… "I used your recipe but substituted a malted grain flour(5oz) for the whole grain. I did not have access to a cloche or dutch oven but baked it on a stone with an occasional squirt of water into our Stanley oil fired oven. Am looking forward to the next one."

frank4.jpg

frank3.jpg

frank2.jpg

frank1.jpg

breadtopia September 13, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Hi Frank. By all means! Email it to me and I’ll post it.

frank September 13, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Eric attempts I have produced a reasonable soughdough loaf thanks to your video and instruction.I am delighted with the result.Can I send you a pic? I am so excited with result.

Steamy Kitchen September 12, 2007 at 8:07 am

I’ll have to try making Sourdough NKB! Great video.

breadtopia September 9, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Hi Mark,

I use the same no knead recipes for the oblong Cloche as the round one. Those recipes are about the maximum that the oblong will accommodate. The round La Cloche will handle a larger loaf.

If you click on the "No Knead Recipe Variations" link and watch the Cranberry Pecan video, I think that’s the one where I’m using both the round and oblong cloches.

Mark September 9, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Eric:

As previously mentioned, I have had great success with your starter and round LaCloche baker. I also ordered the oblong baker, and have three questions. To bake on the oblong, does it require either the same receipe, or more dough, or less dough? Does cooking time remain the same or what changes need to be made? Have you any videos using the french loaf baker?

Best Regards,
Mark

breadtopia August 27, 2007 at 10:02 am

Thanks Mark, for the nice comments, photo and feedback…

"Thanks to your wonderful video filled website.  And many thanks for taking personal time to answer questions and offer advice.  Having used your starter recipe, and sour dough no-kneed method, I have made my first successful loaf.  The La Cloche baker worked as you have stated.  The crumb and crust was perfect.  Awesome website and great products."

Regards,
Mark

No Knead Bread with La Cloche

breadtopia August 23, 2007 at 8:23 am

That’s great about your son.

One of the things I like about the sourdough pizza recipe is it uses 1 1/2 cups of starter, so a great way to use up excess starter in a hurry.

Judy August 23, 2007 at 6:20 am

Eric, I know that ten batches is ambitious. I just can’t seem throw away the extra when I feed. There are only three of us here and only so much bread we can eat.

One of the greatest things about baking bread besides eating it, is that I have sparked an interest in my 17 year old Son.

We did the pizza yesterday. I did not get a picture because by the time my Son put it together and cooked it, I was dead tired and in bed. He said it was great.

Next time I hope he gets started earlier.

Judy

Noel August 22, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Well Eric,

Guess what. About the time I finished the post below, I checked my 2-loaf rise again, and it had doubled, so I took it out of the bowl, cut in half, folded each a few times, and rolled up and put in glass loaf pans. I set them in a cool oven, and let them rise about 4 or 5 hours, and they poofed up quite well. Slashed them and baked at 375 for about 30 minutes.

They looked great, were pretty light (started at about 1-1/2 lb.) and tasted good. Only, didn’t taste like sourdough. I don’t know what the heck I have in my starter. Got the clan at Carl’s to send me a new starter.

By the way, I check my bread for doneness with a probe instant read thermometer, and I think about 175 is right, but would sure like a comment on that. I think this would be a much better way to check for doneness, especially for newbees. Nothing worse than burning or having a doughy center after all the time & work.

– Noel

breadtopia August 22, 2007 at 7:39 pm

I had that great big plastic bag for ages and I don’t know where it came from. I really liked it and wish I had more. Now that it’s worn out, I’ve just been using the plastic bags that come off the rolls at the grocery store. They’re not as big but I can fit the bowl I use most often in them and I know they’re food grade.

10 batches? Wow! That’s ambitious.

I’ve seen that grayish tint on occasion. It seems to me that it forms when the starter hasn’t been used in a while. If it sits longer, a gray or yellowish liquid (alcohol) starts to form on the surface. In either case, you don’t have to throw it out unless the starter completely dies for some reason. You can bring it back to it’s former pristine self with a few feedings.

With 10 batches, it’s quite a task keeping them all fresh all the time. So it does seem like you’re more apt to see this kind of thing now and then.

Judy August 22, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Eric what kind of plastic bags are you using to cover your rising dough in your videos?

I am having trouble finding something like them.

Also I have a real science experiment going on in my kitchen. I have about 10 batches of starter going. I have noticed that sometimes when I take it out of the fridge it has a grayish tint on the top of a couple. I have been tossing those out. Is there something going wrong? They look ok when they go in the fridge.

breadtopia August 22, 2007 at 10:35 am

Hi Noel,

I don’t know why your starter would die and then come back and then die again, unless it’s just reacting to feeding. I do know that when you feed starter it usually reacts by getting very lively, bubbly and growing and then will appear to “die out” after it’s used up much of it’s available nutrients. But in this case, it hasn’t really died out, it’s just lying a little dormant until the next feeding.

With a healthy starter, your bread dough would rise to (or near) double in much less than 12 hours at 80-83 degrees. More like a few hours max. So maybe your starter is weak.

You could toss in a little regular yeast before the rise. Some recipes call for both sourdough and regular yeast.

Trying all these different things will certainly speed your learning process.

Noel August 22, 2007 at 9:56 am

I had some dried Carl’s 1847 starter, and tried to revive it. Took over 2 days, but it did come back, then it sort of stopped for awhile (even though I was feeding it), then it seemed to come back again. I transferred it to a jar that I cleaned with some bleach, which I am sure I washed out completely, but the starter again seemed to die. Then it came back again. Any thoughts?

Decided to try and make a loaf with it. Modified the recipe to 1 cup whole wheat and 4 King Arthur unbleached (actually going for two loves) ,and added some butter. Because of the way the starter was acting, I used a full cup of it.

I want to do them in glass pans because I like the more “square” shape for sandwiches, and I used less water because I seem to feel it is better to have a dryer/firmer dough to keep it in the pan when rising.

It has been rising about 12 hours now, and not quite double. I have read the other posts, and I am concerned that the dough may not rise well in the pans. I am working in about 80-83 degrees.

I had the thought of making up some regular bread yeast, and kneading it into the dough before the pan rise. What do you think about that?

breadtopia August 19, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Hello Cee,

No problem – just add a little more water until you get the consistency you want.

Cee August 19, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Made you whole-wheat sourdough starter…it was on course until the last feeding which produced a very stiff starter. Is this correct? Is there a way to make it a little more pourable as in your videos?

Judy August 8, 2007 at 12:44 pm

I usually have better bread if I only rise for about 12 hours. That goes for both regular no knead and the sour dough bread. As mentioned before, I am in south Texas and it is hot and humid here. I am in an air conitioned home and the temp is about 75 degrees.

breadtopia August 8, 2007 at 5:07 am

Thanks Bina.

I think a lot of people are seeing their doughs reach a baking stage much sooner than the 18 hours commonly recommended in the no knead recipes. When colder weather comes around again, we’ll see things return more to "normal".

The only problem with the short proofing times is the flavor of grains don’t have as long to develop as many would like. An easy and effective way to compensate for that is to mix up the dough in the evening and place it in the refrigerator overnight and then let it resume its rise the next day at room temperature. As for how long for each step, you are so right when you say the secret is to go by how the dough looks than by specific times and quantities.

Bina August 7, 2007 at 7:34 pm

HI Eric,

I have been trying the no knead bread with sourdough and spelt flour due to multiple allergies in my family as I have mentioned previously. Here in Hong Kong the temperature is in the nineties and the humidity is 90%, so my early attempts were wet and soggy messes. I had to increase the amount of flour considerably. The first loaf proofed in about 8 hours which unfortunately for me was about 1.30 a.m. (I went to the kitchen for a glass of water at that hour and found the dough fully risen) I shaped, proofed and baked it in the middle of the night and wound up with a well risen, golden loaf which was not as holey as the others I have seen on this site (due to the spelt I think) but very tasty and light nevertheless. The second loaf got the long proofing and behaved just like Mike’s. The third time I proofed for 8 hours again albeit with a more sensible schedule and again got a good result. I think the secret is to go by how the dough looks rather than specific times and quantities. My second proof never takes more than an hour, sometimes even 50 minutes. I hope this helps people who live in less than ideal climates.

breadtopia August 7, 2007 at 9:42 am

It seems counter intuitive, but you might want to actually reduce (or at least not increase) the amount of sourdough starter you use. Using more starter consumes the available nutrients that much faster, so the rise peaks sooner… and fades sooner.

In fact, that’s what I need to do next time as we’re enjoying excessively hot and humid weather here in Iowa.

Mike Tauber August 7, 2007 at 7:58 am

Thanks for the input, I tried adding a little more starter and flour and then kneaded it a bit and it rose fine, I baked it but it fell in the oven, so it sort of resembled an ancient Greek discus, ha ha ha… I will try it again with the A.C. turned up higher and proof it for a shorter time.
Thanks, Mike

breadtopia August 6, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Hi Mike,

I’m afraid I’m a little late to help you with this loaf. Not that I could anyway. I think the problem is the same as Ronnie’s that I addressed just above. Sometimes, the starter goes a little crazy and peaks too early. I think this is why people refer to “adventures” in sourdough baking, since it’s difficult to predict the outcome all the time. I still find myself scratching my head sometimes.

77 degrees is pretty warm for bread baking. It’s much easier to bake bread in the winter when your house may be a lot cooler.

I don’t think there’s any “reviving” possible with this one. Do you have a dog that likes bread? It could make a nice substitute for a bone.

Before I used dedicated bread proofing baskets, I got by just fine by draping a floured linen type towel inside a medium sized bowl.

Thanks for the comments. I think if you just experiment with shorter proofing times, and sometimes just wait for a little luck to smile on you, you’ll be fine.

Eric

breadtopia August 6, 2007 at 11:26 am

Ronnie – The dough rising during the first rise says your starter is fine. While I can’t say for sure what’s behind the no oven spring, when that happens to me it’s usually because I let it proof too long and the starter kinda goes “over the hill”. This is more likely to be a problem (if you consider it a problem) during the hot summer months when the starter seems to go ballistic. Shortening the proofing time might help, even as much as a few hours.

breadtopia August 6, 2007 at 11:10 am

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the link to the pictures. That bread certainly did turn out well, especially for whole wheat. I don’t have any recipe suggestions for biscuits but that sounds like a good topic for a future video. I do have plans for a no knead dinner rolls recipe/video, but that will be a ways down the road.

breadtopia August 6, 2007 at 11:01 am

Gustavo – In addition to what Judy said, moving the oven rack that you bake on to a higher position in the oven might help some.

Mike Tauber August 5, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Ok, It is now obvious that my final rise phase has miserably failed. After 4 and half hours the dough has not risen more than a 1/4 inch in the pan. I just don’t understand it.
The starter was extremely active when it was added to the dough mix, the first proof was incedible, the rest of the handling was just as the video demonstrated and I followed the steps exactly, the only exception being , instead of putting dough into proofing basket I put it in a bread pan?
What could have gone wrong? the room temp is Ideal, I used King Arthur bread flour and whole wheat flours as the recipe suggests. The starter has obviously spent it’s entire ability to produce gas in the first 18 hour rise period. I don’t understand why it just gave up?
any thoughts??
Any suggestions on how to revive my lifeless lump of dough into a riseable reincarnation that will be bakeable and hopefully edible?

Mike Tauber August 5, 2007 at 10:09 am

I am worried, after an hour and a half my dough has not risen much at all? I have had it in a draft free spot in the kitchen covered with a cloth, the room temp in the kitchen is 77 degrees. I wonder if the starter ran out of gas after the the tremendous performance of the first 14 hours of the first proof? I am giving it another hour and will check it again.
Does this sound typical, I hope it will rise enough to bake it?

Mike Tauber August 5, 2007 at 9:39 am

I planned ahead to bake my first loaf of KN sourdough bread today. I used your starter recipie, by the way , the starter is very active! it was ready to jump out of the container and run away when I let it set after feeding it to use today!
I followed your recipie, and I found during the mixing process
it was very difficult to use my hands, too sticky to handle.
I managed to get it well mixed and into the proofing stage.
WOW it tripled in volume in about 14 hours, then seemed to run out of gas and by the 18th hour it actually fell some, (about an inch) is that normal?
I turned it out onto the floured surface ( a real sticky task) I floured my hands and the bread pretty well, hoping it would incorporate itself into the dough to help me handle it as well as reduce the wetness. I was able to do the folds and and quickly form it into a ball. Now comes my dilemma,
I have no proofing basket, La Cloche or dutch oven. So I placed the dough which I shaped into a log in a bread pan that was lightly oiled and coated with cornmeal for the final rise, I will just leave it in the pan to bake when it rises about an inch and a half over the top. I think I should bake it this way at a much lower temp like 375, for approx 30 min, perhaps tenting with aluminum foil for part of the time. What do you think?
I plan to buy the basket and La Cloche later, but for now I have to use what I have, and I just could not wait to try this!

rlabohn August 4, 2007 at 11:31 am

okay its me again..i just tasted my semi flat sd nkb and its delicioous…nice crust with large holey crumb..so heres whaat i did and didnt do and maybe you can figure out why no oven spring…dough rose to double for first fise..i folded directly in bowl for 15 minute rest and did not add any flour…2nd rise in lined proofing basket well floured,but i did not add any dough to 2nd handling either(idont know why i didnt) not much rise and when i flipped into pot alot stuck oh and i used 1/4 c started to 3 c br fl and 1 and 1/2 ts salt and 1and 1/2 c water…

Judy August 3, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Gustavo I have the same problem.

I have to bake at a bit lower temp and less time.

My latest bread was a bit more done than ideal.

I just experiment and adjust acordingly. I wonder if weather has any effect on the cooking temp. I am in south Texas.

Judy August 3, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Eric the bread was wonderful. I thank you. The starter is wonderful. I make the no knead bread all the time and this was a delightful change using sourdough starter.

I have pictures posted on photobucket.

You can see that the bread has a denser crumb but that is fine. The flavor is great.

I have the starter growing in the kitchen and my husband is afraid that it will soon take over our house.

I am thinking about biscuits. Do you have a recipe suggestion?

Thanks again. Judy

Gustavo August 3, 2007 at 6:19 pm

My problem baking bread seems to be the oven. When I use high temperatures, the bottom of the load burns like coal. Any tip on how to avoid this problem ?

Tks

rlabohn August 3, 2007 at 4:27 pm

hi eric..well i mixed up a batch of “homemade starter” using wheat flour and pinapple juice..i then mixed a batch of nk bread using 3 cups of bread flour,1/4 c of the starter and 1 and 1/2 cups spring water and salt of course….started the 1st rise and its going slow..will keep you posted…ps the dough is a little drier that the basic recipe..what do you think???

breadtopia August 3, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Nice! I’m looking forward to your final results.

Eric

Judy August 3, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Eric, I recieved my starter from you on Tuesday. The stuff is very powerful! I fed it as close to your directions as I could and I am now in my final rising stage on a No Knead bread. I’ll let you know how it bakes up.

I can’t wait to have bread for dinner tonight.

Thanks, Judy

breadtopia July 21, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Hi Bina,

Well, I would certainly try adding more flour (or reducing water) to get a dough stiff enough to handle a little easier. It’s challenging enough just working with mostly spelt flour. Add the heat and humidity and you’ve given yourself a bit to work with. I’m not helping much. I think you’ll be alright if you’re willing to experiment long enough to find a formula that works. Maybe you’ll get lucky and get there sooner than later.

It is interesting to hear and learn from others’ trials so please do report back again.

Good luck.

Bina July 21, 2007 at 8:36 pm

Finally tried the spelt no knead sourdough bread. My attempts at making a spelt starter ended in disaster so I made a whole wheat starter like your recipe and then used spelt for subsequent feedings. The dough was much slacker than yours (too slack to shape) and had to be poured almost into the proofing basket. I noticed in the video that your dough is stiff enough to form a ball and to handle. Is this the consistency I should be aiming for in which case I would need to add a lot more flour or a lot less water? As mentioned before, Hong Kong is extremely hot and humid in the summer (90 degrees and 93%)so should I be making adjustments to compensate for this? Finally how stiff can I make the dough and still get a decent result? The ad vice on your site has been a lifesaver. Thanks.