No Knead Recipe Variations

Menu of No Knead Videos:
Cranberry-Pecan Seeded Sour
Parmesan-Olive Steel Cut Oats

Here are some of my favorite No-Knead bread recipes. Each is distinctly different from the others, touching on some of what’s possible with this simple and hugely time saving bread baking method.

(Note: If you’re brand new to no knead bread baking, I strongly encourage you to give the basic no knead recipe a try first before moving into the variations.)

In each of the videos you will see I’m using sourdough starter as the leavening agent. The use of sourdough starter is usually my preference in baking but as the written instructions indicate, you can just as easily substitute instant yeast for the starter by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast in with the dry ingredients and leaving out the sourdough starter entirely. It’s that simple. I don’t want to see anyone deprived of the luxury of this bread experience if instant yeast is your preference for leavening.

As always, feel free to play with different flour mixes and ingredients to come up with your ultimate bread masterpiece.

Please leave your comments, questions and experiences at the bottom of the page.

December 14th, 2007 Update: Check out Kendra’s recipe for cinnamon raisin bread below. It sounds awesome. Thanks Kendra!

Also, see the post by Joanne Polayes with her variation of the cranberry pecan recipe.

July 2008 addition: Definitely check out Carolyn’s No Knead Sourdough Lavender Bread. Wow, well done Carolyn!

Jan. 27 2009 addition: For a great looking focaccia recipe, see Hedy’s post. And a little above that, Toni offers her focaccia variation which includes whole grains.

Feb. 9, 2009: See a Newfoundland favorite by Janet Kelly. Thanks Janet!

March 31, 2009: Donna Wakefield has discovered that baking with keifer for both leavening and flavor produces excellent bread. Her posts start here and continues above under her name (“Donna” and “Donna Wakefield”).

Dec. 22, 2009: Mike Owens suggests this no-knead variation: “I blend up some frozen spinach with the water and add to the flour. Then when I fold in thirds I add some grated Gruyere cheese to each fold and I do the trifold twice. It is fantastic. Hope others like it as well. Makes my lunchbox ham sandwiches more interesting.”

Aug. 1, 2010: Couldn’t resist adding this email from my new best friend ;). It includes some great no knead recipe variation tips…

“Hi Eric,

Ever since I found your website a couple years ago, we have not bought store bread (except for burger buns and pitas). Baking bread is a complete joy for me: making it is fun, seeing the results is amazing and the reactions I get from those I share it with are gratifying. Our “daily bread” is the regular sourdough (but I add 1 tsp.poppy seeds). The olive parmesan loaf is a special treat for when we have guests (my siblings love this one especially – we’re of Greek descent =)) – but I usually add a head of mashed roasted garlic to it.

I have even created my own sourdough KNM variation that I thought I’d share with you. Feel free to post it, if you’d like. It’s the basic NKM sourdough with 1/4c. chopped, pickled jalepenos and about 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese mixed in. I was selling them to a neighbor for awhile, but then she started a weight-loss program that forbid bread (scary, huh?).

I currently take care of my elderly mother full-time, but all this bread-baking has led me to seriously consider baking as a career. I fondly imagine my own little bakery someday.

You have changed my life, Eric. Bet you don’t hear that everyday, but it’s true. Thank you.

– Elise Davies

Jan 1, 2011: Check out Bill Burk’s variation using 7 grain cereal. Makes an excellent sandwich bread.

Feb 27, 2011: Michelle Kaptor’s Cherries and Chocolate No Knead recipe looks like a winner.

Sep 9, 2011: Thanks Lisa K. for this gem – Black Russian  no knead. Based on a bagel recipe, it’s as intriguing and exotic as its name.

Oct 17, 2011: Like Chocolate… a lot? Chocolate no knead recipe with great tips. Thanks Bart!

Mar 9, 2012: Here’s another Chocolate Cherry Sourdough version from Bradley that looks like a winner

Cranberry-Pecan Extraordinaire (makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups (13 oz.) all purpose or bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 1/2 cups purified water
1/4  cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

(Read paragraph near top of page for instant yeast version of this recipe)

• Combine the flours and salt
  • Mix the starter into the water until mostly dissolved
  • Mix the water/starter solution into the dry ingredients
  • Mix in the pecans and craisins
  • Cover bowl with plastic at let sit at room temperature for 18 hours
  • After 18 hours turn dough onto well floured surface and gently flatten enough to fold dough back onto itself a couple times to form a roundish blob. Note: This folding stage can be accomplished within the bowl, speeding up the process even further and leaving less of a cleanup.
  • Cover blob with plastic and let rest 15 minutes. During this rest period, coat a proofing basket or towel lined bowl with bran flakes.
  • Gently and quickly shape blob into an approximate ball and place in proofing basket or bowl.
  • Cover with a towel and let rise for 1-2 hours depending on room temperature.
  • As gently as possible, flip the dough into a Dutch oven or ceramic (e.g. La Cloche) baker preheated to 500F degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes at 450 degrees. See Great No-Knead Baking Techniques for more tips.
  • Allow bread to cool completely before slicing and eating. Warning: this most difficult step requires superhuman discipline and restraint.

You may have to adjust the baking times and temperatures to adapt to the various weights and materials of different baking containers.

Return to top of page

Seeded Sour (makes 1 loaf)

This recipe holds a solid spot on my “all time favorites” list. It is adapted from the George’s Seeded Sour recipe in Nancy Silverton’s Breads from the La Brea Bakery book.

1/4 cup (1 oz) rye flour

Seed Topping Ingredients:

1 Tbs. amaranth
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
2 Tbs. anise seeds
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds

Combine all the dry ingredients (except the topping ingredients) and then add to that the combined wet ingredients.
The rest of the baking steps are the same as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan bread.

As shown in the video, I coat the proofing basket with the combined topping ingredients so they stick to the dough during the final rise.

Return to top of page

Parmesan-Olive (makes 1 large loaf)

This recipe makes one amazing loaf of bread. It’s great for special occasions, and considering the price of ingredients, you may want to reserve it for special occasions. Use fresh parmesan cheese and it’s likely you will not find this loaf’s equivalent in any bakery. They would have to charge too much!

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups (13 1/2 oz.) bread flour
1 tsp. salt
7 oz. grated fresh parmesan cheese
2/3 cup pitted kalamata olives (cut in half lengthwise)
1 3/4 cup purified water
1/4 cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Follow the same steps as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan recipe. Combine the dry ingredients (including the cheese) then add to that the combined wet ingredients and then stir in the olives. The ingredient measurements are a little different than usual as the cheese is salty to start with and the dry mix takes more water than usual.

Here’s a video from Breadtopia visitor, Archer Yates… Nice!

Return to top of page

Steel Cut Oats (makes 1 loaf)

It’s amazing what the addition of a mere half cup of steel cut oats can do to enhance and vary the quality of a basic loaf of no knead bread. During the long fermentation period, the grains soften and swell to give the bread a wholesome and satisfying flavor and texture.

Simple enough to whip together in a heartbeat and interesting enough to become a regular in your no knead rotation.

3/4 cup (3 oz.) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (3 oz.) steel cut oats
2 1/4 cups (10 oz.) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup firm sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Pictured here: Awesome steel cut oats no knead by Breadtopia reader Marianne Preston
Marianne's Steel Cut Oats NK
Another Breadtopia reader, Allan Castine, offered this…

In my last e-mail to you, I mentioned that I had made your steel cut oats bread recipe with mostly excellent results.  My only concern, as I told you, was that the bread was a bit bland for my particular taste.

I made the recipe again yesterday with a couple of alterations:

I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt and, following a suggestion from a friend of mine, I lightly toasted the oats in a dry saucepan over medium heat before adding them to the flour mixture.

The results were great. The bread was very tasty, i.e., not bland.
Return to top of page

Butch October 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Tom,that sounds great,gonna have to get more lager tho,I just drank the last one……….Balsamic huh?Hmmmmm.

Ty Hiller October 23, 2010 at 12:56 pm

For the Steel Cut Oats Bread, do I have to use Steel Cut Oats or could I use Rolled Oats, like Traditional or Quick Oats.

Tom Tigue October 20, 2010 at 1:32 am

Yep…added garlic and used half lager beer and half purified water as well as a proud tablespoon of Balsamic…. Whew!!! Good eats……

Butch October 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Hey,has anyone tried adding a big handful of garlic cloves(peeled,of course) to the mix when making the dough?Just proof and bake as usual….you’re in for a treat!!!

Breadtopia October 15, 2010 at 6:14 am

Hi Kristi,

You may want to add a little more flour to compensate for the sweetener but I don’t think it would take much if any. There’s quite a bit of flexibility in the no knead recipes. I do think your proofing times would accelerate significantly so you’ll want to be prepared to get in the oven a lot sooner than otherwise. Temperature is the other big factor so difficult for me to guess the timing. Just keep your eye on it and take your best guess. A few times at most and you’ll have it down.

Kristi October 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

Has anyone added a sweetener to the recipe e.g. honey or molasses? I would love to adapt a favorite standard recipe that calls for 1/4C molasses (1/2C oatmeal). However I am unsure about:
Affect of sweetener on fermentation process: would the dough would get too soupy, and/or would the fermentation time need to be significantly decreased?
Proportions: would you decrease the water so total liquid is still 1.5 C, or just add the molasses or honey in addition to the water?

marc lowen September 7, 2010 at 7:41 am

why won’t the cranberry video work

Christy September 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

So I tried this with out the clay baker, using the steam as I mentioned before. PERFECT! I do have clay bakers, and I can use them. I bake SO much that they become impossible to load into the oven because of the size. This way I can bake several loaves at once in the same oven. Of course, I have a convection oven that helps with this. I also tried it in my mother’s oven (standard oven). I flopped the bread on a warm pizza stone, and splashed water into a basin in the bottom of the oven to trap steam inside…again wth perfection! Ah…… I figured the pot basically trapped steam, and this steamed to solved the need for that. Just thought I would share.

Breadtopia August 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Hi Christy,

I think if you follow the basic No Knead Recipe and use a clay baker (I like the oblong cloche or Romeropf for no knead bread baking) then you’ll be happy with the results.

For this particular recipe, using the ceramic baking vessels, you wouldn’t use added steam. Otherwise, yes, you are fortunate indeed to have that.

Don July 29, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Made the Parmasan-Olive today for you know who, I don’t like olives and these olives are strong tasting. I could handle a loaf of this once in a while but it will never be one of my favorites.
When I mixed the dough it seemed dry but left it as it was and let it rise overnight and in the morning I had a dough that was as wet as most NK dough, when I proofed it, it fell some but once in the oven there was a good spring and it came out great. She Who Must Be Obeyed loves it but she may only get it once a month or so as I will eat it but not a lot of it, think I will bake something else tomorrow and she can take half of this loaf to her mother who also likes these olives.

christy July 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I have been fighting with no knead breads for weeks. I have a couple of books on the 5 min process. I just can not get them to be anything but dense and gummy, no matter what I try. I’m about to try some of the recipes on here. my question is about my oven. I bake in a concection oven and I’m lucky enough to even have steam injection (I’m a wedding cake designer), BUT stacking all these heavy pots will ever so slightly bend my racks and then my cakes will suffer. SO, since I have steam injection, do I need the clay pot?

Don July 20, 2010 at 10:06 am

I made the Cranberry Pecan KNB and it has stifled my bread making hobby.
Once my wife tasted this loaf she insists that this is what I make at least once a week, the rest of the time I can make any bread I wish to and I like to bake a lot of different types of breads, but the Cranberry Pecan is the the favorite of my wife and She Who Must Be Obeyed gets her way but does like the other whole grain breads I make.
This is a great web site and I do make some of the other NKB that are featured on it, and the videos help sometimes if I get confused, which is not too hard to do.
I find that if I use weight and not the volume when I add ingredients I have better results but that is up to the baker to decide what way they want to measure things.

Breadtopia July 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

Hi Don. I read your post to my wife and she likes the title “She Who Must Be Obeyed”. Wish I could keep my mouth shut.

Dee T July 17, 2010 at 11:47 am

Awesome olive parmesan sourdough bread! It took superhuman willpower not to cut into the loaf before it cooled. If the smell of this bread had calories, I’d have gained 20 lbs already.

I’ve baked commercially yeasted breads for decades, and your web site finally gave me the courage to try making sourdough again, and this time I succeeded! This is my second loaf in a week, and I’m SO excited about being able to bake sourdough now! Thank you!

Peter May 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I have used a Romertopf clay baking pot (with lid) to make a few loaves. As any Romertopf baking enthusiast will tell you, there is something magical about baking in clay. It did stick with out the use of corn meal. That said I use a Cloche for 90% of my no knead bread baking.

This week end I will heat up my gas grill and bake a bread on the indirect/unlit side. I will add a little wood to smoke it and see how it comes out.

Why can’t man live on bread alone?

JeffB. May 18, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Jeri,

I’m guessing it is the OJ. I make bread with raisins and craisins, sugar, cinnamon, etc. all the time with no issues. Too much acidity for the yeast creatures to grow?

Try it with cream or milk instead of OJ, but keep the zest.

Jeri May 18, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Ok, since I’ve made at least 10 loaves of no-knead bread and got the knack of it pretty well, I decided it was time to experiment! I wanted a “breakfast loaf”, so I threw in 3/4 cup of rasins, 3/4 cup of craisins, and 2 TBS of orange zest (yes, I wanted it to be really orangey.) I also replaced half of the water with fresh squeezed orange juice.

It tasted OK (although I think I’ll stick to 1 TBS of zest next time), but it was very dense. It did not rise nearly as much as my regular loaf of no-knead, and I’m assuming these other ingredients interfered with the rising process. Can anyone tell me why? Is it the weight of the raisins and craisins or is it the acidity of the zest and the OJ? How can I counter this action? Can I simply add more yeast to the dough? Any comments are helpful! Thank you!

Kristine May 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Thanks! That’s what I thought happened. I have now made a second loaf and it’s also flat and dense and very disappointing. I put in another batch in fridge and thought I’d see how that goes…. I’ll have to try different things and see what works. Will post when I have success. :-)

Breadtopia May 3, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Hi Kristine,

Hot and humid weather can wreak havoc on bread baking. Just keep adding flour, TONS of flour, until it’s not so wet anymore. If tons of flour isn’t enough, add more. Eventually your dough won’t be so wet. This is almost what it seems like you have to do sometimes.
You probably let your dough proof too long. When dough rises and then falls on its own, the yeast has now lost its oomph so you’re going to get dense bread. Cut the time way back as see how it goes.

Kristine May 3, 2010 at 10:18 am

Hi again
I managed to make a very healthy starter using the pineapple method, so I was very excited about trying my first loaf. But although I followed the recipe, my first loaf was a disaster. Tasted good, but very, very dense – no fluffy bread here. My dough was very wet, so I think it had risen and then fallen (it’s very hot at the moment in Taiwan). I have now made another attempt, and it looked promising, but again very, very wet – I couldn’t work with it at all. I have put it in the fridge and intend to deal with it tomorrow. Think I’ll just pour it into my pot and see if that works. But does anyone have any hints for why my dough is so wet?
Thanks.

JeffB. May 2, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Debbe,
I’ve found you just have to make lots of loaves. Baking is about the process more than anything. If you do it a lot, you will refine your steps and learn to recognize a successful loaf, even as it is still in process. There are some great tips in the comments here too. But lots of reading to find the nuggets.

Debbe May 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

This is my first loaf of NKB.But it’s not my first bread making experience been doing it for years.I made the dough yesterday at 11am and went to a BBQ and got home and put it in the fridge at 11pm.Figured out 18 hrs were up at about 6am and I wasn’t going to be up. Now I’m trying to figure out now how long does it have to sit out and where do I pick up again the NKB recipe? I have the proofing basket and the La Cloche so now where do I start again? Thanks for any info. I think this is going to save me tons of time once I get the hang of this and will just keep a schedule of dough going.Nothing like having bread baking in the oven smells like heaven…… PS I have spent hours just going though all the information on this site and am still learning this method so I welcome all the help I can get.

Elizabeth April 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thank you very much! I will order “la cloche” since I like crispier crusts. Does La Cloche also eliminate the need to spritz the dough with water or add water in a recipient below? And can I leave my pizza stone on the bottom of the oven? Thank you very, very much.

Elizabeth April 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

I am in the market to buy either an enabled dutch oven or “La cloche” for baking the no-knead bread. I do not mind spending the money if one is better than the other. Which one produces better bread?

Breadtopia April 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

Hi Elizabeth,

I think either one produces better bread that not using a covered baker at all. The more porous unglazed clay baker, such as the La Cloche, will wick away more of the moisture from the baking dough and produce a crispier crust. An enameled or glazed baker will produce a crust that’s a bit softer and more chewy in my experience.

Kristine April 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm

One more question. I have a very bad gas oven that burns everything from the bottom upwards unless I bake at very low temperatures. I have bought a small counter top one as to use, but was hoping perhaps the cloche/romertopf would help with the problem with the gas oven. Any experience with this?

Kristine April 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’ll do some trial and error and see what works best. I was thinking that the breadmaker would help to keep the temperature/humidity more under control, when the weather here gets very tropical, but perhaps that’s not necessary. Anyway, thanks again – I’m really looking forward to trying out my sourdough and crossing fingers that I can get it started! :-)

Kristine April 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I’ve been totally inspired by your sourdough recipes. I am in the process of making the starter (day 2) as I live in Taiwan and no idea how to go about buying one one. I have been making bread for years, but have avoided sourdough starters as I thought I’d have to babysit them all the time, but I can see from your videos that this shouldn’t have put me off. So now I’m very excited about giving it a go. I do have a few questions:
Is there a good substitute for amaranth if I can’t find this (I was thinking sesame or sunflower although this will of course change the bread quite drastically)?
I was thinking of using my breadmaker to help with the rising of the dough – as it’s very humid here. Any tips?
In your basic no-knead recipe you haven’t used starter – any reason for this?
Thanks again for a very informative and inspiring website.
Kristine

Breadtopia April 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Hi Kristine,

I think you can just try any added ingredients you want in the no knead recipe and see what works for you. It’s very flexible and there are no hard rules. It gets very hot and humid in the summers here in the Midwest too. You have to keep your eye on not over proofing. It’s easy to go too long in hot weather. I’m not sure how a breadmaker would assist in rising of the dough. That’s should happen just sitting around in a bowl.
I do use sourdough starter in the basic no knead recipe quite often.

Inge March 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

About 35 years ago I made my last loaf of raisin bread. It didn’t turn out so well for I kneaded it to death and the raisins disappeared in the dough and quite frankly I didn’t know what I was doing. I was thrilled to see Kendra’s recipe for raisin bread on breadtopia — can’t wait to try it. Because Kendra’s recipe is no knead the raisins should remain intact. Thanks Kendra.

Inge

Amy March 13, 2010 at 7:01 am

I have made the cranberry pecan bread two times now, but no one else in my house appreciates nuts the way I do. So after watching the latest video on the NK rye loaf where you use the zest of an orange, it gave me an idea. I replaced the nuts in the cranberry bread with the zest of a whole orange and used almost a whole cup of cranberries. The result was incredible! The smell was wonderful, and it was one of the highest loaves I’ve produced so far, not sure why. Maybe the natural sugars contributed to this? The color was beautiful as well, I should have taken a picture. Anyway the most important thing is that everyone in my house tasted the bread and loved it! It is a delicious bread for breakfast. The family favorite was toasted with cream cheese. I hope you try this, you won’t be disappointed!

Betsy Carey February 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Dear Eric,
I’ve been enjoying your videos and have decided to resurrect the starter that hasn’t been used in maybe a year. I had gotten it from Carl and it was doing fine until I got too busy. Also, I got a little lazy and had success with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I’m now ready to try baking without commercial yeast. I poured off the “hooch” which was dark but just smelled like alcohol–I’m assuming that it’s still okay. Before watching your video, I scooped out about 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup warm water. I thought I’d start small. After seeing your video, I realize that I should have used somewhat less water. Do I need to remove some starter each time when adding flour and water? It appears that it’s still bubbly and hasn’t died yet. Wow!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I want to make a rye or spelt combination bread.
Betsy

Breadtopia February 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Hi Betsy,

What you did should work fine. You can always add more flour to thicken it up if you want. Whether or not you remove some when you feed it has more to do with how much you have on hand. If you’re baking frequently enough, and consequently using up starter, you might not have to dispose of any. But if you’re not baking you still need to feed your starter to keep it happy, so it might be necessary to remove some just so you don’t end up with a boat load of it.

There’s a lot of flexibility in how you manage your starter. You’ll find a routine that works for you.

Mitch February 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

Toad,
When I read this I laughed out loud. Clearly, I was so terrified I couldn’t even think straight!!! :-)
Mitch

Toad February 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

Mitch wrote to Jim on Jan. 1, 2010 that he’d be ‘terrified to leave raw eggs sitting out for some 12-18 years…’ It made me laugh. He meant hours, of course.

kate January 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Milk, eggs and oil soften a breads crumb. Using any of these ingredients in your bread recipe will significantly change the character of your bread. The bread will have a better keeping quality but not have as crunchy of a crust as bread made without any oil. This isn’t necessarily negative, just different than the plain, no oil version.

Jeff B. January 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Wouldn’t the baking temperature kill off anything from the eggs? Seems like 202 degree finish temperature of the bread is hot enough to kill anything.

On another note, I settled on my bread storage. I often bake several loaves at once. Sometimes I freeze them, but when I don’t storage is an issue. But I found that if I put the bread in a paper bag after at has fully cooled, and then transfer to plastic after another day or so, that the crust and the bread are both preserved appropriately.

Jim Roe January 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Substituting Milk for water

Similar to the prvious note, I came across this comment:

Replacing all or part of the water with milk will lend itself to a more tender, sweeter product. The sugar in milk, lactose, is not eaten by the yeast, so it is left to add a subtle sweetness to the finished bread. Milk also increases the nutritional value of the bread by adding additional proteins. A dough made with milk will brown more readily than one made with water.

I have also noted the use of powdered skim milk in some recipes.

Suggestions? Comments?

Wil January 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I should have mentioned, I also proof my bread in the refrigerator a day or two before I bake. The longest my dough is on the counter is only about an hour.

Hedy January 1, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I make Challa every week. I use eggs in my dough. This is not a Nkb recipe. I make the dough the night before in my bread machine and then put it in the fridge in a greased plastic bread. In the morning, 7:30 a.m. I take the dough out and leave it on the counter until 5 p.m. until I return, when I can punch it down, braid and shape, and let rise again for about one hour. We have never gotten food poisoning. It actually comes out great. Hope this helps.

Mitch January 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

Jim,

I would be terrified to leave raw eggs sitting out at room temperature in a no-knead dough for some 12 – 18 years without worrying about some kind of food poisoning. Even if you added the eggs to the dough after the first rise, they would still be unrefrigerated during the second rise, and I’m not so sure how safe that is, although I guess that’s no different than making bread the conventional way using eggs in the formula. Perhaps the thing to do is to not add the eggs until after the extended 12 -18 hour first fermentation.

Now I’m curious as to what others have to say about this. :-)

Mitch

Wil January 1, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hi Jim, I have used eggs and butter in some of my NKB baking and I agree. Using dried milk, 2-4 tbls, mixed right in with the flour or, 2 tbls of oil will give you the pretty much the same results. There was some writing somewhere that said eggs may be a problem for sourdough starter baking since eggs contained a natural bacteria fighter. I used eggs in a NKB recipe last week along with my SD starter and it worked.
Wil

Jim Roe January 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

Using Eggs in KNB

In my many hours of searching the Internet for NKB recipesI determined two things: Breadtopia is the best KNB site and eggs are a useful addition to the dough.

I came across this note: Eggs added to dough help with rising. A bread dough rich with egg will rise very high, because eggs are a leavening agent (think genoise or angel food cake). As well, the fats from the yolk help to tenderize the crumb and lighten the texture a bit. Eggs also contain the emulsifier lecithin. Lecithin can add to the overall consistency of the loaf

I have also noted that non-NKB recipes frequently include 1-3 eggs in the dough.

Any thoughts?

Karen December 20, 2009 at 9:25 am

Has anyone used cooked barley in the NKB recipe? I cooked a huge batch of it for soup, but it came out creamy like a risotto and I wondered if I could use some of it in baking bread.

PJ3 December 16, 2009 at 11:25 pm

For crying out loud JeffB… how long do you keep a loaf of bread laying around anyway… (this is done with a big smile) I have sliced mine all up into toaster sized pieces and then frozen them and then take a slice out of the freezer any time I want… then nuke it or toast it… I love it toasted with a slice of Swiss cheese and a glass of grape juice… I think that I have died and gone to heaven

Jeff B. December 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm

BTW Jim, you story of the smoking fish baker was really funny. I’m guessing it was not so funny at the time, but the way you wrote it sure was.

Jeff B. December 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I’ve tried the paper bag. It works OK for a day or two, but I find the NK bread goes a little stale and gets a little too chewy after maybe three days if only kept in a paper bag. I too have a cluttered counter with no space for a bread box, but maybe I can rig something under the cupboards or in a drawer.

Ruth December 16, 2009 at 8:16 pm

We find that just placing the cut edge down on the clean bread board over night is fine as a small loaf will never make it past breakfast the following day, I generally cover it with a clean T-towel and if I make a double batch or large loaf that will last more than 24 hrs, I have paper bags that I keep from previous grocery store purchases. We never use plastic as we like our crusty crust and plastic will soften the crust. The best part is that these breads taste best 1, 2 or even 3 days later. If they last that long… Just my opinion. But it sure works for us.
We had a bread box when I was a kid, it was great, Dad was and still is an incredible baker & cook, if I had room on my already too cluttered counter, I might consider one.
I made a stuffing out of some left over Poulaine style bread today – it was fantastic! I had wrapped it in a plastic bag and tossed it in the fridge. I call it Poulaine “style” as I roughly used Eric’s recipe, but instead of fermenting for 18 hours, it was more like 3 days, then added approx 5 cups of flour, 1 of rye, 3 of whole wheat and 1 of plain old white bread flour and then enough water to make a sticky dough. I’ve done this several times, and only go be feel. Maybe I’ll try to weight it out one day.
In short, make use of your breads – there are infinite ways to use them, after all of the love, care and attention we put into them, it’s great to find ways to recycle the bits and pieces that may other wise get tossed.

PJ3 December 16, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Paper bag

JeffB. December 16, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on NK bread storage? I am wondering about bread boxes. I like a crisp crust, and I found that the plastic bags really soften up the crust, even after it comes out nice and crisp from the oven. Any thoughts?

Jim Roe December 16, 2009 at 12:14 pm

No Dutch Oven?

This link shows many ways to no-knead bread heaven with having a classic dutch oven:

Jim Roe December 15, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Marcia Welenson for your comments

Yes, it does have a rough surface. It also has a soft crust. I find no joy in a hard crust and huge holes in the crumb. Adding to the roughness is the steel cut oats. I grind them up to the very fine powder. Surprisingly, they expand to the size of a salt crystal adding to the roughness.

The loaf was made with bread flour. I will try again with plain white flour.

Marcia Welenson December 14, 2009 at 6:53 pm

In the photo your loaf appears to have a sheen. However, it looks like the bread has a rough texture, which would make it less shiny. Could this be the case?

Jim Roe December 14, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Not having a La Cloche I borrowed my wife’ well used clay Fish Baker. All went well until I preheated the baker at 500F. While the baker appeared relatively clean and dry, the years of fish oil had permeated the clay and started to smoke. Great quantities of smoke for the best part of an hour. I mean a lot of smoke. Quickly the fire alarm went off, and all the doors and windows opened in freezing weather.
After that, all went well. The picture shows the base, well carbon coated, the braided 4 cup Cook’s recipe loaf (tasted great), and the cover.

I used the parchment paper transfer the dough so there was no carbon transfer to the crust.

Wanting a glossy finish, I used and egg and 1 tsp of milk wash. No luck. Why?
Should I have oiled the dough first?

The bottom inside of the baker measures 13″ x 4″, and 16″ x 6 1/2″ overall.
Height about 4″.