No Knead Recipe Variations

Menu of No Knead Videos:
Cranberry-Pecan Seeded Sour
Parmesan-Olive Steel Cut Oats

Here are some of my favorite No-Knead bread recipes. Each is distinctly different from the others, touching on some of what’s possible with this simple and hugely time saving bread baking method.

(Note: If you’re brand new to no knead bread baking, I strongly encourage you to give the basic no knead recipe a try first before moving into the variations.)

In each of the videos you will see I’m using sourdough starter as the leavening agent. The use of sourdough starter is usually my preference in baking but as the written instructions indicate, you can just as easily substitute instant yeast for the starter by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast in with the dry ingredients and leaving out the sourdough starter entirely. It’s that simple. I don’t want to see anyone deprived of the luxury of this bread experience if instant yeast is your preference for leavening.

As always, feel free to play with different flour mixes and ingredients to come up with your ultimate bread masterpiece.

Please leave your comments, questions and experiences at the bottom of the page.

December 14th, 2007 Update: Check out Kendra’s recipe for cinnamon raisin bread below. It sounds awesome. Thanks Kendra!

Also, see the post by Joanne Polayes with her variation of the cranberry pecan recipe.

July 2008 addition: Definitely check out Carolyn’s No Knead Sourdough Lavender Bread. Wow, well done Carolyn!

Jan. 27 2009 addition: For a great looking focaccia recipe, see Hedy’s post. And a little above that, Toni offers her focaccia variation which includes whole grains.

Feb. 9, 2009: See a Newfoundland favorite by Janet Kelly. Thanks Janet!

March 31, 2009: Donna Wakefield has discovered that baking with keifer for both leavening and flavor produces excellent bread. Her posts start here and continues above under her name (“Donna” and “Donna Wakefield”).

Dec. 22, 2009: Mike Owens suggests this no-knead variation: “I blend up some frozen spinach with the water and add to the flour. Then when I fold in thirds I add some grated Gruyere cheese to each fold and I do the trifold twice. It is fantastic. Hope others like it as well. Makes my lunchbox ham sandwiches more interesting.”

Aug. 1, 2010: Couldn’t resist adding this email from my new best friend ;). It includes some great no knead recipe variation tips…

“Hi Eric,

Ever since I found your website a couple years ago, we have not bought store bread (except for burger buns and pitas). Baking bread is a complete joy for me: making it is fun, seeing the results is amazing and the reactions I get from those I share it with are gratifying. Our “daily bread” is the regular sourdough (but I add 1 tsp.poppy seeds). The olive parmesan loaf is a special treat for when we have guests (my siblings love this one especially – we’re of Greek descent =)) – but I usually add a head of mashed roasted garlic to it.

I have even created my own sourdough KNM variation that I thought I’d share with you. Feel free to post it, if you’d like. It’s the basic NKM sourdough with 1/4c. chopped, pickled jalepenos and about 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese mixed in. I was selling them to a neighbor for awhile, but then she started a weight-loss program that forbid bread (scary, huh?).

I currently take care of my elderly mother full-time, but all this bread-baking has led me to seriously consider baking as a career. I fondly imagine my own little bakery someday.

You have changed my life, Eric. Bet you don’t hear that everyday, but it’s true. Thank you.

– Elise Davies

Jan 1, 2011: Check out Bill Burk’s variation using 7 grain cereal. Makes an excellent sandwich bread.

Feb 27, 2011: Michelle Kaptor’s Cherries and Chocolate No Knead recipe looks like a winner.

Sep 9, 2011: Thanks Lisa K. for this gem – Black Russian  no knead. Based on a bagel recipe, it’s as intriguing and exotic as its name.

Oct 17, 2011: Like Chocolate… a lot? Chocolate no knead recipe with great tips. Thanks Bart!

Mar 9, 2012: Here’s another Chocolate Cherry Sourdough version from Bradley that looks like a winner

Cranberry-Pecan Extraordinaire (makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups (13 oz.) all purpose or bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 1/2 cups purified water
1/4  cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

(Read paragraph near top of page for instant yeast version of this recipe)

• Combine the flours and salt
  • Mix the starter into the water until mostly dissolved
  • Mix the water/starter solution into the dry ingredients
  • Mix in the pecans and craisins
  • Cover bowl with plastic at let sit at room temperature for 18 hours
  • After 18 hours turn dough onto well floured surface and gently flatten enough to fold dough back onto itself a couple times to form a roundish blob. Note: This folding stage can be accomplished within the bowl, speeding up the process even further and leaving less of a cleanup.
  • Cover blob with plastic and let rest 15 minutes. During this rest period, coat a proofing basket or towel lined bowl with bran flakes.
  • Gently and quickly shape blob into an approximate ball and place in proofing basket or bowl.
  • Cover with a towel and let rise for 1-2 hours depending on room temperature.
  • As gently as possible, flip the dough into a Dutch oven or ceramic (e.g. La Cloche) baker preheated to 500F degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes at 450 degrees. See Great No-Knead Baking Techniques for more tips.
  • Allow bread to cool completely before slicing and eating. Warning: this most difficult step requires superhuman discipline and restraint.

You may have to adjust the baking times and temperatures to adapt to the various weights and materials of different baking containers.

Return to top of page

Seeded Sour (makes 1 loaf)

This recipe holds a solid spot on my “all time favorites” list. It is adapted from the George’s Seeded Sour recipe in Nancy Silverton’s Breads from the La Brea Bakery book.

1/4 cup (1 oz) rye flour

Seed Topping Ingredients:

1 Tbs. amaranth
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
2 Tbs. anise seeds
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds

Combine all the dry ingredients (except the topping ingredients) and then add to that the combined wet ingredients.
The rest of the baking steps are the same as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan bread.

As shown in the video, I coat the proofing basket with the combined topping ingredients so they stick to the dough during the final rise.

Return to top of page

Parmesan-Olive (makes 1 large loaf)

This recipe makes one amazing loaf of bread. It’s great for special occasions, and considering the price of ingredients, you may want to reserve it for special occasions. Use fresh parmesan cheese and it’s likely you will not find this loaf’s equivalent in any bakery. They would have to charge too much!

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups (13 1/2 oz.) bread flour
1 tsp. salt
7 oz. grated fresh parmesan cheese
2/3 cup pitted kalamata olives (cut in half lengthwise)
1 3/4 cup purified water
1/4 cup sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Follow the same steps as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan recipe. Combine the dry ingredients (including the cheese) then add to that the combined wet ingredients and then stir in the olives. The ingredient measurements are a little different than usual as the cheese is salty to start with and the dry mix takes more water than usual.

Here’s a video from Breadtopia visitor, Archer Yates… Nice!

Return to top of page

Steel Cut Oats (makes 1 loaf)

It’s amazing what the addition of a mere half cup of steel cut oats can do to enhance and vary the quality of a basic loaf of no knead bread. During the long fermentation period, the grains soften and swell to give the bread a wholesome and satisfying flavor and texture.

Simple enough to whip together in a heartbeat and interesting enough to become a regular in your no knead rotation.

3/4 cup (3 oz.) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (3 oz.) steel cut oats
2 1/4 cups (10 oz.) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup firm sourdough starter or 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Pictured here: Awesome steel cut oats no knead by Breadtopia reader Marianne Preston
Marianne's Steel Cut Oats NK
Another Breadtopia reader, Allan Castine, offered this…

In my last e-mail to you, I mentioned that I had made your steel cut oats bread recipe with mostly excellent results.  My only concern, as I told you, was that the bread was a bit bland for my particular taste.

I made the recipe again yesterday with a couple of alterations:

I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt and, following a suggestion from a friend of mine, I lightly toasted the oats in a dry saucepan over medium heat before adding them to the flour mixture.

The results were great. The bread was very tasty, i.e., not bland.
Return to top of page

carol wharton February 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

anyone, excuse my naivete but what does the beer add to the bread?
carol

mimi January 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm

This will be my very first time with no knead recipe.
does the beer have to be at room temp, like the water?

Breadtopia January 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

No, it doesn’t. The water doesn’t either really. If it’s cold to start with it just adds a little bit to the fermentation time.

Kath Kramer January 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm

i would love this recipe using Beer…did you exchange it for the water with no other changes??? please inform me of this…

Kelly February 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm

…I JUST made a no-knead bread… using beer (1 bottle of lager)…and WOW. think it’s my new favorite way to make bread – no kneading! woot woot!

Kath February 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Kelly…did you follow the basic recipe and just substitute the beer for the water? sounds great and i want to try it….

Kelly February 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm

For the Sponge:
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup warm water
Dough:
1 BOTTLE of Beer (I used a lager)
2 1/2 teaspoon salt (table salt works)
4 Cups All Purpose Flour

dulcey February 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

can you tell me how much beer you added and what recipe here did you put it in? i want to make it too!!!

Kelly February 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I used 1 bottle. Used same “basic no-knead recipe” … here’s a link to my blog post where..showing you how I did it! So easy!

For the Sponge:
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup warm water
Dough:
1 BOTTLE of Beer (I used a lager)
2 1/2 teaspoon salt (table salt works)
4 Cups All Purpose Flour

Kath Kramer January 8, 2012 at 5:59 am

I am making the parmesan-olive bread…after the 18-hour first rise I notice black specks covering the top of the dough. could this be mold? I am hoping it is just residue from the Kalamata olives. It smells strong, but I figured that is from the cheese…..Any comments? I am proceeding with the second rise now and planning on baking this bread hoping all is well. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Kath Kramer January 8, 2012 at 8:38 am

Thank you Jeff for getting back to me….glad to hear the specks are normal and just from the olives. My bread got fantastic and the smell is even better! Your instructional videos are just excellent….you leave nothing to question in the preparation of making this variation of the basic no-knead. The hardest thing is waiting for the bread to cool somewhat so that we can dig in!

Kath Kramer January 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

I apologize…..I meant to thank Eric! Sorry!

carol wharton January 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

OK I have made all of the recipes Eric has described above and personally I like the olive/Parmesan the best…so I am trying to incorporate another recipe that I like but using Eric’s method. It calls for a baked potato and a head of garlic added to about 6 cups of flour…can someone tell me how I can do this? Should I simply substitute those two ingredients in place of the olives and cheese and maybe reduce the amount of potato and garlic?
I will also use, for the first time, a starter I made and not dry yeast.
Help!
carol in Landaff

carol wharton December 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Hi Georgia,
My unglazed German clay baker named Schlemmertopf, is very old…bought when they first came out suggesting that they be used for meats mainly. Well, I never used mine until now. ..for bread, after seeing Eric demonstrate how in one of his videos on this web site… It is not necessary or advisable to soak it . But it must be put in the oven to preheat for about 30 minutes before adding your proofed dough. Again, watch the videos for a clear demonstration. There is a video in which Eric describes the clay baker, the cloche and the clay oblong pan. I hope this helps.
Carol

Georgina December 19, 2011 at 8:00 am

Hi Carol

I have many Rommertoff clay bakers but hesitated to use them without pre-soaking . I will give it a try in one of my bakers now. Thanks so much.
All the best
Georgina

carol wharton December 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I just took my third loaf of the Parmesan/olive bread out of the oven…to warm to slice and add a photo but each time I have made it, it has been an overwhelming success with excellent taste, look and crumb! This time I got the most rise though and I think it is because I used my clay baker as opposed to my dutch oven…I am still experimenting with the temp using that pot.
It is expensive to make using the Reggiano cheese but so worth it especially if you are taking it to a party as I am doing again today.

Georgina December 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Hi Carol

Can you please tell me how you used your clay baker to bake your bread ? Did you pre-soak the baker ? Did you put it into a cold oven then heat – as per clay baker usage? I would be very interested in knowing how you managed with your clay baker.

Many thanks !

Georgina

Ed Petrash December 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Where do I go to find an Artisan bread recipe for ciabata bread ?

Lou November 29, 2011 at 7:55 am

Where can I find Tom’s recipe for his garlic and balsamic bread variation?

Marcia G November 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

My husband who is from St. Petersburg, Russia has told me that the bread I’ve made from this recipe found in Taste of Russia; a Cookbook of Russian Hospitality, tasted just like the bread he used to by there 30 years ago. This recipe makes 2 loaves.

1 Cup Cark Rye Flour
1 Cup Flat Beer

2 Packages Active Dry Yeast
2 Cups Flat Beer

1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee
1 Square (1 ounce) unsweetened Chocolate

2 1/2 Cups Dark Rye Flour
1 1/2 Cups Bran Flakes
1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Crushed Coriander Seed

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 Cups Unbleached White Flour

Cornmeal

Five days before bread-making, prepare the starter by mixing the 1 Cup of rye flour with the ` cup of beer. Stir will. Let stand, covered , at room temperature for 5 days, stirring once a day.

On bread-making day, dissolve the yeast in 4 Tablespoons of the beer, which has been heated to lukewarm. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften the yeast.

Meanwhile, heat the butter, honey, coffee, and chocolate together in a small saucepan, just until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Stir the starter mixture into the softened yeast. Then stir in the remaining beer, the 2 1/2 Cups of rye flour, and the bran flakes, salt and coriander, beating well.

Gradually beat in 2 1/2 cups of the white flour, mixing well to form a soft dough, which will be slightly sticky.

Turn the dough our onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, adding up to 1 Cup more of the white flour. Shape into a ball and place in a deep, greased bowl, turning dough to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough and knead briefly on a floured board. Divide in half and shape into 2 round free-form loaves. Place the loaves on a baking sheet, which has been sprinkled with cornmeal.

Cover loaves and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1/2 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 F for 10 minutes, the reduce the heat to 350 F and continue to bake for 50 minutes more, until the loaves are browned and sound hollow when tapped.

To make the glaze, dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tablespoon of the water. Place the remaining 1/4 Cup water in a sauce pan and stir in the dissolved cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, until thickened.

Brush the baked loaves with the glaze, covering them evenly on all sides. Return to the oven for 3 – 4 minutes, until the glaze sets.

Cool on racks before serving.

Larry S. November 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Does anyone know a recipe for genuine black Russian rye bread?Years ago, experimenting,I concocted a no knead such bread and got acclaims from some elderly highly educated visiters saying it was the best bread that they ever tasted.I was trying to eminate a delicious chewy black Russian rye bread that I was served in Joe’s Steak House in Sidney,Nova Scotia,Canada which I used to enjoy visiting in the early 1960’s on business trips.Joe used to put a pound loaf plus a half pound of butter on the table for three of us to enjoy with our delicious potato soup for him while we waited to barbacue our 1 1/2 pound porterhouse steaks.All for $2.95 a dinner,including coffee and pie.

Judy Leach November 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi Larry,
I’m not sure what black Russian Rye bread is, but the Dark Pumpernickel bread recipe on King Arthur’s site is a very dark rye. I have modified it to use dark rye flour and whole grain spring wheat. I also do a long fermentation. The following are the ingredients I use. I use the quantites in parentheses to make 2 large 9″ x 5″ loaves.

• 1 cup (3 cups) pumpernickel flour (Dark Rye flour)
• 2 cups (6 cups) spring wheat flour
• 1/4 cup (3/4 cup) potato flour
• 2 tablespoons (6 tbsp) non-diastatic malt powder
• 2 tablespoons (6 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa – or –
• 1 tablespoon (3 tbsp) powdered caramel color
• 1 teaspoon (1 tbsp.) deli rye flavor (optional)
• 2 tablespoons (6 tbsp) minced dried onions
• 1 to 3 tablespoons (4 1/2 to 9 tbsp) caraway seeds
• 1 1/2 teaspoon (4 1/2 tsp) salt
• 2 tablespoons (6 tbsp) vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon (3 tbsp) wheat gluten
• 2 teaspoons (6 tsp) instant yeast
• 1 1/2 cups (4 1/2 cups) warm water
• 2 tsp. (2tbsp.) orange juice

Let me know what you think.

Inga October 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for a great site and videos that got me started with no-knead breads.

This is my variation on the variations you’ve been so kind to offer. It’s an almost no-knead with 1/3 whole wheat flour, a multigrain hot cereal (I used Country Choice Organic) instead of steel cut oats and Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout in place of lager.

It didn’t rise as high as my white all purpose flour loaves have in the past, but it came out dense, chewy and very delicious:

2 cups of unbleached, all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup multigrain cereal (oats, rye, wheat and barley)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast
7 oz water
3 oz Sam Smith’s Oatmeal Stout
1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar

Rise and treat as Cook’s Illustrated Almost No-Knead bread. Preheat oven/bakeware for 30 min during second rise. Bake 450ºC for 30 min covered, then 15 min uncovered.

Breadtopia October 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for your nice addition, Inga. The other morning I put some oatmeal raisin mush (about a cup), leftover from breakfast, into a normal no knead recipe and it came out really great.

Kelly October 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I noticed that after the first proof, you added some extra flour and then folded the dough a few times. When I did then, where the extra flour was added, the bread becomes dense and not fluffy, do you know why that’s the case? Thanks.

Breadtopia November 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hi Kelly,

Sounds like maybe your dough was just dryer than mine to start with.

Bart October 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hello Eric & all you other Breadtopians!

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy trying all the variations that everyone is sharing here. I’ve tried most of them now and each one has been sensational!

Here’s another variation for any chocolate lovers out there:

16 ounces high gluten (bread) flour
2 tsp salt
1 TBS sugar
1.5 cups 66% DARK Chocolate (cut into ~ 1/2 pieces)
1/4 tsp Instant yeast
1.5 cups purified water

Mix the dry ingredients including the chocolate, ten add in the water until well blended, adding more water if necessary to develop the standard, fairly-wet dough used throughout this site in the No Knead recipes. Cover with plastic and leave it for 18 hours or so.
After the 18 hours, move the loaf into your proofing basket, cover it with a towel and let it sit for another hour to hour-and-a-half.
Move it into a preheated and COVERED clay baker (or cast iron pot, etc.) at 475 for about 35 to 40 minutes (until it’s around 200 to 205 degrees in the middle.)
DON’T remove the clay top during baking or any chocolate that is exposed will be totally blackened and very likely turn dry and crusty (trust me…). Let the bread cool for an hour or so and enjoy!

Breadtopia October 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Looks like a no brainer to me, Bart. Thanks! I added a link (above) to this.

Danielle October 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Woo Hoo! My first time making sourdough starter was a great success. I was delighted. Today I baked my first loaf of sourdough bread and I went with Steel Cut Oats bread. It has such a strong taste…I thought it would have to be a very old starter to be so bold. Will the taste become more refined as it grows old?

You have an awesome website…very helpful. Don’t count me out yet…I’m making Cranberry Pecan bread tonight.

Best regards, Danielle

Granola October 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’ve made the steel cut oats version several times. It is delicious, but a little heavy, it always seems to be a little damp in the middle. Is that common? It seems to be cooked enough, but damp. Is there an internal temp it should be before taking it out of the oven?

Mitch October 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I shoot for 207F in the middle of the loaf and I let it sit on a cooling rack at least overnight before I slice it. Even then, the last one I recently made was not exactly damp, but apparently it was not quite dry enough, making it difficult to slice because my bread knife was dragging as I was trying to slice it. So, in this case, even 207F apparently was not sufficient, or maybe it was because the humidity had been high so the bread didn’t get a chance to lose as much moisture as it might otherwise have lost. You have to be careful going for too high an internal temperature because you don’t want to wind up with a dense, dried out loaf either. Even if the bread comes out a little damp in the middle, if you toast it before you eat it, it will be fantastic. :-)

Maria from Pennsylvania September 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I got my proofing basket and I love it!
I went crazy making bread today but it was so worth it. I did double recipe of cranberry walnut no knead and the same with seeded sour. Since I double the recipe I was able to make a loaf with half of each to share. They are so good.
Thank you so much for the videos it could not be better.

lisa k September 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

I just got my bread whisk!! I love it! Been playing with the no knead and just made a yummy loaf based on a bagel one of our deli’s make.
They call it a Black Russian. 2c bread flour, 1 c rye, 1 1/2 c water,
1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 Tbs cocoa powder, 1 tsp caraway seed, 2 tsp black cumin seed (found it at a syrian grocery store), appx 1/2 tsp onion powder and a handful of golden raisins, ( you can also add walnuts to your liking, I didn’t). I mixed it all and then did the ususal rise, rest, rise bake. Thanks for all of your great recipes!

Breadtopia September 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wow, gotta give this one a try. Thanks for posting it here, Lisa. I’ve added a link to it from above so people will be more likely to find it. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can score some black cumin seed.

Maxina September 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

Sounds very interesting. Would regular cumin seeds work?

Lisa K January 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I don’t think regular cumin would be the same. The ones I use are black and look like when a scallion goes to seed, if you are a gardener. I got mine from a Syrian market in Allentown Pa. You’d be better off leaving them out. sorry i haven’t been on the site in awhile thus the delay response.

Marguerite March 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm

i tried this – and used regular cumin seed and it didn’t create the right flavor mix, but you could tell that w/o the reg cumin seed and maybe a tad less of the onion powder this would be a great bread, so i’m trying it today with the black cumin seeds and less onion powder ( i was using dried onion, then grinding it up in a pestle the first time). I found these black cumin seeds are often labeled black caraway seeds in some stores. They are not the same as regular caraway (which are green), and about half the size of a reg caraway seed. Wish me luck.

lisa k December 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

Well I finally got back to the Syrian Market near my sis in PA. I have to assume I’m at fault with this, the seeds I used and just bought more of are BLACK CARAWAY seeds. I could have sworn it said black cumin the first time I bought them. So sorry to have driven anybody crazy with this. here’s a link with what they are and what they look like.
so sorry. my bad.
lisa k.

Gloria September 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

How many garlic cloves and do you slice them, dice them or leave them whole? Also, how much balsamic? This would be one I would try with measurements the first time, at least. Anxious to try it.

Maxina July 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

This is such a great recipe. I’m still waiting for my sour dough starter. We have had a postal strike here in Canada……. But the instant yeast has been working very well and I’m learning that minimal handling preserves to larger air pockets. I’ve been making up some of my own various such as a nut-raisin-seed loaf:

Use the steel cut oat recipe as above and add to it a handful of each: raisins, chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds.

We are going salmon fishing and camping this weekend. A couple of loaves are coming with!

Diane Millar June 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi and thanks for new videos…for past several weeks I have been baking a version of your Seeded Sour that has become a staple for me
…whole rye, whole spelt, seived whole wheat…all in equal weight with added gluten…about 2 TBS for the 600gm of flour. Vit C …about 1/8 th TSP of crushed 5oomg tablet and butter milk pwd…about 50gm…40% hydration , salt @ 2% after autolyse for about 15 minutes…kneaded on olive oiled table with oil also an hands …about 2 TBS total…dough in refrig for at least 12 hrs…in oven at 500 for 15 minutes and then 475 for another 30 or so…use thermometer to check that temp at least 195

Sue May 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Dear Diane, thanks for sharing this variation, I particularly like the idea of using rye, spelt and ww. re : “with added gluten…about 2 TBS for the 600gm of flour ” what do you mean by adding gluten and please clarify how (does this mean adding 2 TB of high gluten flour for every 600 gm of the flour mixture?) Thanks very much.
Sue

ipek May 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Hello,
I love the website… Thanks so much for sharing these. I have tried the basic recipe and worked great. I am wondering if it is possible to increase the ingredients twice and make a bigger loaf…

Judy November 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hi Ipek,
I generally make larger loaves because we most often use them for toasted sandwiches. I triple most recipes to get two large 9″ x 5″ loaves. The quantity of flour for these loaves is around 9 cups. So for most recipes, this means tripling them.
Judy

Joe Doniach April 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Cherry-Almond Bread

Joe Doniach April 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Cherry-Almond Bread

250 g bread flour
250 g whole-wheat flour
9 g salt
50 g sourdough starter, comprising 25 g flour and 25 g water
335 g water
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup cut-up almonds

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, including cherries and nuts;
Put sourdough starter in 2-cup measuring cup, add water, stir till mixed thoroughly, then add to dry ingredients;
Mix with dough whisk till uniform, about ten minutes;
Let rise till doubled in size, about 12 hours at 68-70F;
On floured surface, flatten till about 1″ thick, fold in thirds twice to form a boule, then shape till boule is uniform;
Let rise in proofing basket, approximately 2 hours;
Preheat clay baker to 475F for 30 minutes;
Bake bread for 30 minutes at 475F covered;
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 450F uncovered.

Lorraine April 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Hi there;
I am new at this and I tried the sourdough starter with the pineapple juice and it was not successful, soooooooooooo I added a capsule of vitamin c to this no rise mixture and yipee it worked within hours.
My first attempt at making sourdough bread was the Steel Ground oats, like someone said previously it has a very tough crust and I added the extra salt, but it still was a lil’ bland. I was pleased I didn’t have burnt offerings with my first attempt and it is definitely eatable.
With thanks and gratitude for all of your selfless hours of efforts that you have so lovingly gave us this wonderful site.

Luke S. J. March 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Dear Bread-topia,
I have recently discovered your wonderful recipes and made a few variations for a scrumptious cinnamon raisin bread, I just follow your recipe and substitute the special ingredients for cinnamon, raisins and maple syrup. I mix the raisins into the dough and let the dough rise for about 15 hours. Then I stretch it out flatten it and coat the inside with a cinnamon syrup, then I roll it into a long loaf. I proof that for another 45 min while preheating and bake for about 45 min. Presto! great bread all around! thanks for your great videos and recipes.

Amy Roby February 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

I love the NKB method ! My favorite variation is jalapeno and sharp cheddar. I have tried adding during the initial mix, and have tried adding just prior to second rise. Seems to work either way and tastes great. Only problem I have is sometimes don’t get a good oven rise and don’t know why. Taste however, is never a problem

Michelle Kaptur February 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Here is one I tried that was fabulous. Dried Cherries and Chocolate
1 cup starter
1 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleaced all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
Mix and let rise however long you like to do that.
When you are ready to fold the dough into thirds add equal amounts of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips and dried sour cherries to each fold. My goal was to get as much into the loaf as I could. I liked the cherries from Costco best.
Bake in a 450 preheated oven in your dutch oven or La Cloche for 20 minutes. Then remove lid and bake another 20 minutes. The chocolate and cherry combo is awesome.

Breadtopia February 5, 2011 at 9:36 pm

There’s a wide range of possibilities. You can keep the dough in the fridge after mixing it up for any length of time up to a few days. Some people go much longer than that. After taking it out, it can be ready for the next step in a few hours to many hours. You probably already have enough of a feel for it to judge by look and feel when it’s ready.

Paul Johnston February 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Oh Kee Do Kee… If I make the KNB and put the dough into the fridge immediately …
1) How long do I need to keep it in the fridge… and
2) After I take it out of the fridge how long before I do the second fold

Paul Johnston February 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I have been leaving my KNB out for 24 hrs lately… and have been having fab results!! especially in the winter when it is cooler… the flavor is MUCH MUCH better now than when I only let it rise for the 12-14 hrs… I will always try to figure out a way to do the 24 hr rise now… I have found that the second rise it much more critical on the time table and always try to error on the early side… if I wait too long on the second rise my bread falls…

Breadtopia February 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hi Paul,

You can always stick the dough in the fridge to slow down and lengthen the fermentation.

Lisa February 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

I made the olive-parmesan bread with added roasted garlic and rosemary on Friday afternoon. I plan to bake it Sunday night. Today is Saturday. Should I refrigerate it until tomorrow or leave it sitting out until I’m ready to bake it?

Breadtopia February 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

Hi Lisa,

I think if you leave it out that long it will be too long. I’d refrigerate it until Sun about mid morning.

Nu2nkb February 2, 2011 at 7:53 pm

This steel cut oats recipe (yeast version) is a winner, my husband raves about it and believe me he never raves about anything. I haven’t tried toasting the oats yet, we think it’s perfect the way it is. I couldn’t seem to find anyplace to leave the dough for the first 18 hour rise that would keep it at the right temp, not too warm, not too cool. If I put it in the micorwave, it had to be moved, if I left it in the unlit oven it had to be moved. If I left it on the counter it got drats. Finally I put it in the slow cooker, no heat, just in the crock with the cover on. VWA-LA!!!! The covered crock makes a perfect environment, no drafts, no need to be moved. It’s cozy and perfect. The dough rises beautifully and is ready for the second rise. After this is bakes up perfectly in the Emile Henry pot. It can’t be baked in the crock because the slow cooker crock can’t be used at temps above 400.

Jo January 29, 2011 at 12:41 am

Melody,
What altitude are you at?….and what humidity at your place also?

Karen January 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

I made the seeded sour, and it turned out very well; however, instead of the sourdough starter, I used 1/4 tsp. of instant yeast. I also didn’t have any yogurt, so I substitued sour cream…It tasted delicious to me! Oh, by the way, what is the best way to store NK bread without losing the crispy crust…Bread box, bread bags? It tends to soften quite a bit in a regular bread bag.

Margaret December 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm

We have found that putting it under a glass cake dome works well. It stays crisp on the outside and tender on the inside up to a week. May mold after that, and then we start over. :)

dulcey January 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm

in kendras cinnamon raisin recipe, if im not using starter, how much instant yeast should i use? thanks!!

Bill January 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hi all.

I hope I am leaving this in the right place. I am new to NKB and Breadtopia, but I have baked for years and I have been lurking here for awhile and have been experimenting with NKB recipes and came up with one I want to share. It’s a take-off of the seeded recipe. Here we go:

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
3/4 cups 7-grain cereal, uncooked (I bought mine at the local co-op. Don’t know the brand name, but I know Bob’s Red Mill makes it as well.)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, plus a tad more
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast

Mix water, salt and yeast with a fork until all is dissolved. Add flours and cereal. Mix until well combined. Cover and let rise for 12-16 hours.

Turn out onto floured board and fold three times, and then three times again. Turn into lightly greased and cornmealed round banneton. Proof for two hours.

Preheat oven and round La Cloche to 450F.

Dump dough from Banneton into bottom of La Cloche and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400F and bake for 20 minutes. Remove top and bake for 10-15 minutes until properly browned.

When cooled, this dense loaf will slice very thin — I was able to slice it at 1/4 in. or less. It makes great sandwich bread, perhaps the best we’ve ever had. Try it with turkey and cheese and warm it in the toaster oven. YUM!

I love this web site and will post more experiments later. Currently have the rye bread and an experimental tamari toasted pumpkin bread rising.

Happy New Year!

Bill

Bob Wolfe April 29, 2014 at 10:28 am

Dear Bill
Understand everything but fold three times and three times again.. Can you elaborate? Do you fold like a letter then spread dough out again and fold the same way?

Rod December 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’m looking for a good recipe for rustic Gorgonzola Cheese Bread. It should look like Asiago Cheese Bread.

Melody December 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Okay, so I’ve made all four variations. I’ve given the parmesan olive one away and the cranberry pecan one away as gifts, so I’ll have to re-make them for my husband and myself. The steel cut oats one was fantastic. It’s a great variation on an everyday bread. My husband bought me an oblong Cloche for Christmas this year, so I’ve made almost a loaf a day. My favorite one that I’ve made is the sourdough seeded one…it’s absolutely AMAZING. I made my own starter following the recipe on this site (I started it about 10 days ago) and baked the bread about 3 days ago, so within a week, the whole wheat starter turned out nice and tangy, and the bread rose beautifully… better than with yeast, and at high altitude, that says something! I’ll include some photos below of the seeded bread. I had some today sliced with some fresh avocado, spinach, toasted wheat germ and cucumbers as a sandwich (just stuff hanging around in my refrigerator), with a little bit of extra sesame seed added onto the avocado for an extra crunch, and it was yummy, mild, nutty, etc…and very satisfying. YUM!! Thank you Eric! You very well may have changed our lives. :)

Donald Robak December 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I have been experimenting with no-knead bread for some time now. I just tried a variation of the parmesan-olive recipe.
I used two cans of sliced black olives and had only about 2.5 ounces of parmesan on hand.
It still was quite amazing. See video on my site.

Thanks for the great site.

sandy December 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hello. I just made the parmesan/olive to give to my neighbor for christmas. some of us do food exchanges at the holidays. it looks wonderful and it smellos wonderful but I did not get any oven rise! can I put a tablespoon or two of dough enhancer, would this help do you think? any suggestions from anyone appreciated as I do want to make this again. and for us this time! happy holidays and baking to you all…….

Brian Sanders December 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm

This bread is fantastic!

Antonio December 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm

So, my variation on the Parmesan and Olive loaf is to instead use 5oz of Pecorino Romano (it’s really salty- 5ox is enough) and 2/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes. Most everything else is the same (although I went heavy on the water). It’s gotten rave reviews. A-

Kim December 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

This is an amazing website Greg! I could spend all day on here. I just saw the video on the parmesan-olive bread and can’t wait to try it. What kind of pan did you use to bake it in? Why the basket? Thanks again. Kim

Jason December 7, 2010 at 2:49 am

Following the same idea as using milk kefir as a means of leavening, I decided to try and use water kefir and it turned out nice . Nothing fancy, just a basic loaf made in a common bread pan with 50 % whole wheat, 20% rye and 30% white flours . I used 3 day old strong water kefir and substituted 100% of the 1 1/2 cups water with water kefir and combined it with the 400 grams of flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt and let it sit out on the counter for about 20 hours covered in saran wrap before baking.

Jason December 5, 2010 at 1:29 am

I enjoyed Donna’s and Eric’s post regarding the use of kefir in their breads as the soul leavening agent . I too have enjoyed making kefir and kombucha for years at home.

I was wondering if either of you guys have tried maintaining a sourdough starter as normal in the fridge that was originally made from kefir or if that would even be possible. I know some of the bacteria in the kefir would likely need the milk they are used to to thrive, but perhaps the yeast and some of the bacteria would convert to a flour/water or flour/milk medium to survive ? Might be an interesting experiment, even if it doesn’t work :)

Breadtopia November 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

Hi Archer. Yes, a 66% hydration should help with the round shape. Let us know how it goes.

Marc – I don’t think there’s anything all that formal about refrigerating the dough to slow the process. Some people refrigerate for a couple hours, some overnight, some go longer. The longer you go, theoretically the more flavor develops and the more sour develops. Some like it that way, some don’t.

marc lowen November 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm

please tell me where the info is about refrigerate the dough to slow the process

Archer Yates November 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

On your recipe for the cranberry pecan bread Your hydration or bakers percentage is 80% far too wet for me to handle or to retain an approximate round boule you refer to in your video. I plan to re-do the recipe for a hydration of 66%.
Your recipes for the no-knead recipes are tasty but the dough is too wet to handle. I can work with the plastic spatula in the bowl but I am disappointed by not being able to keep its round shape in the La Cloache I bought from you.

Diane Sharon November 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Is this the no knead method as created by Jim Lahey of Sullivan Street Bakery? And popularized by Mark Bittman?
Or is this something else?

Thanks for the variety recipes. Looks great.

DS

Breadtopia November 2, 2010 at 4:55 am

Yes, Diane, it is.

Jeff B. October 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Wow, I was looking for some good variations. I tried Tom’s idea of a handful of garlic cloves and balsamic. Wow. Not only is it good, but my wife said that’s the best smelling loaf you’ve ever made. And I’ve made a lot of bread over the past several years.