About

At Breadtopia We Know We’re Lucky!

If you’re lucky, your passion becomes your job or business. In founding Breadtopia, I consider myself to be extremely lucky. I virtually cut my teeth on sourdough French bread in San Francisco, California, where I was born. And for many years I have loved baking.

Eric & Denyce

In 1994, I was fortunate to marry Denyce; we shared many of the same interests and passions. For the next decade, I was involved in several corporate endeavors and in 2004, Denyce, who is a freelance graphic designer and former operator of the Busy Bee Bakery, and I, a website developer, Internet marketer and avid baker, formed Rusch Advertising Design.

Along with taking on various freelance projects, we developed our personal projects with our major baby being our baking website and store—Breadtopia.com. At Breadtopia we’re dedicated to ensuring that baking perfect bread has never been easier. If we can aid in the development of a baking community—composed of new, veteran and constantly developing enthusiasts—all passionate about creating great, homemade baked goods, then we will count ourselves successful.

The thing about Denyce and me is that we are a lot like the fine folks who visit Breadtopia. It’s not just the fact that we love baking, but here in Fairfield, Iowa, we’re into a range of community and family oriented experiences, including sports, meditation, wildlife, the arts and nature. Denyce is the mom of Galen, her son who is a professional freelance photographer and runs a gourmet coffee accessories store in Dover, New Hampshire, with his lovely, multitalented wife, Liza. We love to connect with them and Liza’s family in Maine.

With Breadtopia we’re looking forward to creating and developing a community of home-based bakers all enjoying the natural riches inherent in sharing baking recipes, stories and knowledge—an extended family of sorts.

How do we survive? We offer a lot of important information for free and baking supplies at often bargain prices. So please take some time to browse through our store and to contact us if you have any suggestions, can’t find a baking item that you need or want to share a recipe or a humorous or interesting baking anecdote.

We hope you enjoy our site. Denyce and I are looking forward to getting to know you and serving you. If you’re ever in Fairfield, please stop by our physical store at 907 W. Burlington Ave. We’d love to meet you in person.

Sincerely,

Eric & Denyce

Tim Billingsley February 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Eric and Denyce,
I have been baking my own bread for many years now so I had a pretty nice bread bakig technique in the bag. But after receiving the La Cloche clay bakers from you, I can honestly say my bread baking skills have risen to another level. Attached is a photo of my first sourdough loaf baked just three days after receiving my order (had to rejuvinate the starter). Not only did the loaf look fantastic, the taste rivals anything I”ve had bought right off Fishermans Warf in San Francisco. Now I will have to order a super peel in time for charcoal grill pizza season.
Thanks again,
Tim Billingsley
Wheatland, CA

Breadtopia January 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hi Kathy,

Rapid rise yeast isn’t so great for bread baking. I suppose it might be ok for pizza if you’re looking for a quick rise, but your results probably won’t track what Reinhart’s recipes expect. They’re not the same thing so I suggest getting some actual “instant” yeast.

Qing January 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I discovered your website a couple of months ago when I became more serious about baking my own bread. The videos and other information you provide on this site have been extremely helpful for me. Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into this!

Kathy McGuire January 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I am new to breadmaking and one of the things I am trying to perfect is pizza dough. I have the book “The Breadmakers Apprentice” by Peter Reinhart. I noticed that in a lot of his recipe (Including the one for Pizza Napolitano) he recommends using instant yeast. I live in a rural area and can’t find it here. Is instant yeast the same as rapid-rise? If not, I will be placing an order for some. Thanks. I’m glad I found this site and look forward to exploring it.

Rick October 12, 2010 at 5:36 am

Eric: I am brand new to baking. I have developed an interst in trying to make home maade sourdough bread but was intimidated by the starter process. I have 2 books by Peter Reinhart. After watching 2 of your videos last night the intimidation is gone. Thank you so much.
Rick
Atlanta, GA

Michelle September 21, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Hi Eric!

I’m so glad to have found your website after watching your video on the “no knead” method of bread baking. Though my family and I are quasi homeless, the one thing that I can do is bake bread to make life a little bit more pleasant for us. I’ve made the original recipe for bread, wheat bread and tomorrow morning will be cinnamon raisin.

My question to you is…is baking in a stainless steel pot okay? I mean that’s all I have so it’s what I’ve made the bread in, but I see where cast iron, pyrex etc.. are the preferred way to do things. We won’t have any adverse effects from stainless steel will we?

Well thank you again for a wonderful site and continue to give out wonderful information.

Sincerely,
Michelle (mom of 5 bread lovin’ children…plus one husband. LOL)

Breadtopia September 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Hi Michelle,

Sure you can bake in stainless steel. No harmful effects.

Kriss September 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hi Eric!
What a lovely site! I was happy to find it. I want to take up bread baking and have wanted to for years. Now, that buying a loaf of Spelt Bread has become a major cost, the incentive is even greater. But, the fresh wholesome goodness and pleasure of creating it myself is what I am after. Thanks for making it so easy with your lovely video lessons. I will let you know how I fair as I move forward!

Russ Panecki August 7, 2010 at 8:41 am

Hello, Eric…
First, I want to thank you for your website. By following your videos and reading up on techniques, I have been able to develop my own ‘approach’ to bread baking. As a craft, I find that I can never get enough information and must always be practicing in order to improve. Second, I want to thank you for your array of fine products that have formed the ‘tool box’ for my baking. I just ordered the lame after trying single edge razor blades, Xacto #11 blades, knives, even scissors (per James Beard in ‘Beard on Bread’) So, as I practice, my bread will be getting better and your website and products are an important part of that. Thanks again!

Russ

Breadtopia August 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thank you everyone for your nice comments and feedback. It’s very much appreciated!

Linda Kinsey August 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

Hi, Eric, and everyone:
Just wanted you to know that I watched your video on how to make the Eurpoean-style whole grain sour dough bread about four times, and finally tried it myself with amazing results. I orders one of your proofing baskets, and my goodness, I was thrilled with how it looked. Of course, the fact that my husband loves the bread is a huge plus.
Thank you so much for your web site and the very clear instructions your videos provide. They gave me the confidence to give it a try.
All the best,
Linda

carol July 23, 2010 at 6:42 am

well—-I’m now hooked on making sourdough bread!—thanks so much for helping me that Saturday I was trying to purchase bread items from your web-site—-I was so excited to receive the live starter—it worked perfect—just like your video!—I have made the sourdough bread(3 day)–& the rye sourdough bread-the anise and orange is such a nice addition -love the flavor–sooooo good!!!! And your banana bread has taken the top spot of all my banana bread recipes—Love It!!!——your videos are a real help–thanks for your love for breadmaking–there is such satisfaction in the journey of making bread and GREAT satisfaction in eating it! Yum!

Dean Cole April 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Eric and Denyce: I can not express how much I enjoy Breadtopia! Thanks to you I have found a new hobby that brings joy to me, family and friends. Keep up the great job….I love it that you are Midwesterners like me from Nebraska.

terry iQ January 20, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thankful for the FYI on your pizza dough recipes… I’m glad I used your site instead of the “everyday recipes sites” cause its obvious you know bread. I have a George Foreman electric Grill; instead of cutting the dough into 2 after prep, I think I can simply cut the dough into 8-20 pieces, and freeze for further use? Anyway thank you! instead of Totino’s Party Pizza Classic Pepperoni (my favorite and $1.25 US.), I’ll try this!

Barbara December 16, 2009 at 11:20 am

does anyone have a recipe for using Italian (oo)flour (maybe mixed with semolina) for pizza, using the no knead method?

Maggie Conlon-Martin December 9, 2009 at 6:06 pm

It was your website alone that got me interested in trying my hand at sourdough a couple of years back. Your videos are so incredibly informative, and easy to follow, they gave me the confidence needed.

After creating my own really healthy starter, I was baking bread for everyone for several months. Then I got out of the baking mode and very busy with other things. My starter made it’s way to the very back of the bottom shelf of my fridge, and I soon forgot all about it.

When I rediscovered my neglected starter more than 9 months later, I figured I’d have to throw it out and begin all over from square one. Just as I was about to pour it down the drain, I thought “what the heck…. can’t hurt to feed it for a few days and see what happens.”

Lo and behold! That forgotten starter came right back to life after just 2 normal feedings! Have to admit, I was a little bit scared to eat the first loaf of bread I made from it, but I did, and it was delicious! I’ve gone on to make loads of pizzas, bread and rolls.

Just wanted to share this experience with your readers. Don’t give up on your starter just because you’ve forgotten to feed it regularly.

elenor reuter October 10, 2009 at 11:33 am

I have been very happy with the bread I have made using your methods,but today I had an accident. I use my small oven for baking and bake my bread in my castiron dutch oven. Today when I removed the cover for the final 30 min. a puff of steam escaped and burned my wrist. Maybe you could put a warning on your website to always remove lids very carefully since there might be some steam left in the pot.

Breadtopia September 9, 2009 at 4:44 am

Hi Jeanne,

Baking with sourdough can be tricky for sure. One thing that might help is make sure your starter is as fresh as possible before you use it. Just feed it well once or twice the day before you bake or if you’re starting the recipe at night, feed it in the AM. You could also try reducing the long proof from 18 hours to something like 12. The length of time depends a whole lot on the temperature, so in the summer it’s easy to over proof which would tend to make the bread alcoholly.

You can usually cut back on the water a little and/or add more flour to stiffen up the dough so it doesn’t pancake out on you so much and still get the big no knead holes and good results, but baking in an oblong la cloche or Romertopf does work really well for shoring up the dough and forcing a good rise even with really wet dough. The crust will come out really well too.

I’m sure you’ll be fine, but let us know how it goes.

JeanneB September 8, 2009 at 12:19 am

I have just happened upon your site this evening at 1AM in the morning and I cannot watch enough of your videos on making my favorite bread – sourdough!

You see, I had practically given up last year after getting a baking stone and starter, tried and came out with a flattish (no more than 2″ high), non browned crust, alcoholish tasting/smelling “sourdough” bread. Although somewhat edible, it was not a joy to look at and brought tears to my eyes!

To this day, I don’t know what I was doing wrong, but I am now willing after seeing your step by step non-intimidating videos, to try again. I just have to purchase the raising basket and cloche to “contain” the dough as I’m assuming this was the reason that mine was spreading too much on the baking stone. (also perhaps too much moisture in dough?)

Any advice that you can offer for getting the starter and thus the white bread to smell more like sourdough and less alcoholly would be greatly appreciated! (I also love the really sour, sourdough!)

Thanks for your site and any help that can be offered to me!

Alison May 9, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I wanted to bake after years away from it, so I asked for and received a Black and Decker ABM for Christmas.

One thing led to another, and I realized I wanted more connection with the grains and the process. Not instant bread. And my family is full of people who are allergic to wheat or who are waiting to get the foreordained familial diabetes.

So I thought I should be looking at spelt and rye and Red Fife wheat and stone ground grains. Luckily, I live in Ontario, where there are wonderful farmers who grow organic grains.

And I am not afraid of yeast: I have made beer and wine.

Last weekend, I started a sourdough culture. Last night, I tradded a bunch of flour and water to see what would happen. It was wonderfully bubbly and ready to use. So I added more flour and water and salt at lunchtime todayto make it look like your videos.

And that rose like crazy all afternoon!

I am now going to bake it before it falls from over proofing. Not even 12 hours.

Some totally hyperactive strain of yeast must have arrived on my stone ground Red Fife!

I need to clean my oven and get a baking stone before I can give up my bread pans and bake it in a 500 degree oven.

But soon!

Kristine April 13, 2009 at 7:54 am

Dear Eric, Please HELP…..Just took my first Spelt Breads out of the oven: I was so excited, but they are as flat as a pancake. ( See photo ) The measuring, mixing, folding and proofing overnight were picture perfect, just like your video. When shaping the loaves this morning, the dough was extremely wet and had to use extra spelt flour just to be able to handle it. I used my round and oblong baskets, dusting them with flour and rice flour. They raised up about 2″ ) When dumping the dough into the preheated La Cloches I had to scrape one of them out of the basket.

When measuring ingredients, I used my scale. Should I experiment by adding more four or using less water? My goal is to make good-looking loaves to give to my friends. By the way, the regular NKB are *picture perfect. ( *Photo )

P.S. Your videos are excellent..I will watch them again and again before starting my next few batches of bread dough.

[img]SpeltFlour.JPG[/img][img]SpeltBread2.JPG[/img][img]SpeltBread1.JPG[/img][img]PB140028.JPG[/img]

Kristine April 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Dear Eric,

Have you seen the video by Peter Reinhart ” The Art of Baking Bread “? He is speaking in front an audience. I found his lecture to be interesting and fun. The video is long (15min.35 sec.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8Yk3mEEb8 . He winds up the lecture by saying ” May your crust be crisp and your bread always rise.”
Enjoy! Kristine

Breadtopia April 1, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hi Charlie,

Wet doughs just tend to flatten out under their own weight more than a stiff dough.

Crusts will soften some while cooling from the steam escaping from the inside. But “mushy” is quite extreme. Maybe baking it longer would help. Also, baking in an unglazed ceramic (clay) baker helps since the clay wicks some moisture from the dough during baking and makes a crispier crust.

Charlie M April 1, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I was so happy to come across your website.. thanks for being so generous with all that youve learned about bead..
I have have many questions about bread.. alas I wont bother you with them all (at once) but please answer me this..
1) you mentioned in one of your videos that wet doughs dont rise as much, why is that?
2) How do you get the crust to stay crunchy mine always seem to go mushy after it cools.. perhaps I need to bake it longer?

Thanks so much for your help.

Breadtopia March 9, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Hi Laurie,

I’m so glad you’re having fun with this. I don’t soak my Romertopf before baking bread. I think (personal opinion here) that the results are best when it’s preheated and then the dough dropped in. Plus the dough doesn’t stick that way.

Laurie March 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I’m delighted to have found your site (via a recent link on thesimpledollar.com). I have been making Mark Bittman’s version of no-knead bread for a while (white or two-thirds wheat), but thoroughly enjoyed your video (and I had never been so neat about the folding in thirds until I saw you do it).

I’ve used both an ancient Le Creuset-type Dutch oven and a big lidded Pyrex bowl with great success. (The Pyrex bowl doesn’t tend to smell quite so scorched during the preheating, so I’m starting to prefer that.)

Today I launched my first sourdough starter — a new endeavor for me — and I look forward to trying No-Knead Sourdough in a few days.

I’ve also got a Romertopf that I could dig out of the cupboard to try. Sorry I haven’t perused all your links yet, but could you tell me if the Romertopf needs soaking, like I normally would before cooking? And what about preheating the Romertopf?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to trying many more ideas from your site.

Terry February 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

As an old farm boy I baked bread for my kids for many year until they decided they like the store bought soft stuff more. I had perfected what I call farm country bread and rolls winning ribbons at the county fair and such.
Now after a pause of a decade I have discovered the breads I longed to make years ago and could not find information on is avaliable on websites such as this. How wonderful to get back into bread making and learning the techniques to create such.
This style of bread making is more invovled and time consuming but a much better product than I grew up on. The flour types available now is also so much better.
Thanks goodness for the internet and people such as you Eric to allow us to learn and share knowledge!!!
Terry

Breadtopia January 14, 2009 at 6:04 am

It’s amazing. They are true artisans. The crowds usually move quickly as they have lots of well trained help. Definitely stop in next time.

David Cancel January 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Fabulous site! Really enjoying it, best I’ve found on breads.

New baker but zipping through your no knead variations. Thanks so much.

I’ve driven past the Beach Pea Baking so many times but it’s always too crowded to stop in. How is it?

Cheers,
David

Ginny December 1, 2008 at 9:22 am

I am a new baker (of bread), and have found your site very helpful, especially the videos. I am sure I will be referring to it often – thanks!

Richard L Walker September 7, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Thank you. Sounds like just the ticket … and yummy to boot.

Breadtopia September 7, 2008 at 4:28 am

That’s a good idea but it doesn’t presently exist. The closest thing to what you’re looking for is probably the Whole Grain Sourdough recipe.

Richard L Walker September 7, 2008 at 12:27 am

Does breadtopia.com have a URL where I can browse an alphabetized list of recipes? or a list of recipes by category? Example: I’d like to find a recipe for a dense loaf of sourdough multi-grain bread but don’t know how to find one other than by browsing around.

breadtopia July 28, 2008 at 10:46 am

Hi Mary,

Glad you like it!

I always like it when someone asks a question I actually have a decent answer to. We’re not big beer drinkers here so I’ve often stretched a single bottle of beer into 3 loaves over a one – two week stretch. Even when the beer is dead flat I haven’t noticed a difference in the bread.

But I was also slightly amazed with some beer I bought with twist off caps. I think it was some basic Budweiser variety. I screwed the lid back on and a few days later it still had much of its carbonation so was presumably fresher too. Nice to know if you did want the beer to stay drinkable for a while.

Mary July 28, 2008 at 10:18 am

Thank you so very much for a fabulous site. My husband and I visit almost daily now to see what’s going on. We’re hooked! We love your videos and find the other users comments to be extremely useful.

Now, I have a strange question. How important is the beer being “fresh” to the process? That is to say, every now again, I pop open a bottle for a loaf and actually don’t feel like drinking the rest of the bottle (yes, this happens very rarely). But, when it does happen, can I pop it in the fridge and use the opened bottle in a few days? Or, is it pop, use and toss?

Thanks again for such a great site. Mary & Keith

breadtopia July 17, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Wow! Thanks so much, Judy.

Flat breads are high on my list. I’ve collected a selection of topics from naan to injera (Ethiopian flatbread). A good friend of mine is a master of chapatti making and has agreed to be videotaped for this site.

I’m working on the 48 hr. day! ;)

Judith Kingsbury July 17, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Hi Eric and Denyce,

It was great to talk with you yesterday, Eric, about being a web hermit.

I’ve just posted a glowing review of Breadtopia on SV Blog: Breadtopia: Heavenly Bread Making Blog, With Easy, No-Knead, Artisan Bread

Please note the hint about flat breads. Once you manage to clone yourself, and invent the 48 hour day, maybe you could think about that!

breadtopia February 23, 2008 at 11:59 am

Thanks Mark.

I’ve wasted no time in adding your caramelized onion loaf gem to the No Knead Recipes page. If at some point you have a photo to go with it, please email it and I’ll get it posted.

Eric

Mark February 23, 2008 at 10:57 am

I’m writing to thank you for this web site and all the great insight on making real rustic bread. I’ve been dabbling in bread making for the past five years with varying levels of success. I’ve completely reset my expectations after just the first try at your no knead recipe.

The La Cloche is the secret weapon, it completely changes the game. I was a bit concerned mine would arrive in pieces, but the extra care you took in packaging it paid off.

I’ve been experimenting and find that my oven runs a bit hot so I need to set it at 475 and 450 indicated to get a less well done crust. I’m going to get a rack thermometer so I can have a better understanding of true oven temp. I have a 36″ oven, so I have enough room to place the La Cloche lid in the oven during the final 15 min bake of a loaf so that I can drop the next one in very quickly and keep a small production line going. I’ve been able to do up to 6 loaves in rapid succession with excellent results.

So far I’ve made the white bread (all white flour), an all wheat flour loaf (very dense), the parm/olive loaf (outstanding), a wild cherry and walnut loaf variation of your cranberry/walnut (excellent) and probably my favorite so far….a caramelized onion loaf.

Using your basic no knead recipe I sliced a large vadalia onion and caramelized it with butter on low heat in a sautée pan for 20 minutes. I let the onion cool and mixed it in with the dough, added a couple more TSPs of water for sticky consistency, and let stand for 18 hours. I was concerned that I’d added too much onion, but after it rises and is baked off its fabulous. Give it a try….

Thanks again, you’ll probably be getting a small burst of business from eastern Massachusetts!

Mark

breadtopia January 17, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Hi Jean,

Sweet cardamon Finnish bread sounds great. I wish I did have it.

As for sunflower seeds, I guess use them however you want. No rules apply.

Jean January 17, 2008 at 5:05 pm

How can I use sunflower seeds in a no-knead bread?
Also, do you have a recipe for that sweet cardamon bread made by the Finnish?
Love your site!

breadtopia October 15, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Wow! Thank you, Larry, for the great story. I think I’m going to print this out and frame it. Very cool.

Thanks for the order, too.

Eric

Larry October 15, 2007 at 7:32 pm

I came across your web site last night while Googling for baking bread. What good fortune, indeed. For years I’ve been reading all the bread authors and drooling over the photos of beautiful artisan bread. Despite all the info in these books, I’ve managed to bake some of the finest bricks and doorstops ever. Either the crusts were like armor plate or the insides looked and tasted like library paste.

As I watched your No Knead Method video with increasing fascination, I jumped out of my chair and hauled out flour and dug out my La Cloche from the closet where it was abandoned in frustration.

Well, when the loaf came out of the oven, I was literally stunned. I was finally looking at a loaf the way it is pictured in all the great bread books: golden brown crust, wide open slash marks with raised and caramelized edges. When I cut it open I finally saw what had eluded me so long, the large beautiful holes throughout the entire slice.

At last I understand firsthand what all the bread authors mean when they talk about the perfume of wheat, the sweet taste of the grain, the singing of the crackling loaf as it cools.

Needless to say, I ransacked the fridge for anything and everything that could possibly go on the slices, strawberry jam, butter, cream cheese, tomato sauce, brown gravy, cold cuts. My only regret is that I don’t have a camera to send you a photo.

My heartfelt thanks to you for proving that artisan bread is not only possible but easily accomplished by an amateur home bread baking enthusiast. Your video helped me see the way to do it at last!

PS: I’ve just begun my first whole wheat pineapple juice starter and sent in my first order for the yeast, baskets, and whisk.

Larry

breadtopia June 8, 2007 at 8:21 am

Hi Nelson,

Congratulations in advance on your forthcoming Thai pancake house. How exciting. I wish you tremendous success.

Rice flour is very different from wheat flour. It is basically pure starch and contains no gluten that gives wheat bread its elasticity and ability to rise well when used with a leavening such as sourdough starter.

A web search on “rice pancakes” will turn up recipes designed mainly for people with a gluten intolerance. I suppose some experimenting would determine whether you could use a wheat based sourdough leavening in a rice pancake recipe and come up with something suitable for your customers.

I hope you’ll let us know if you some up with something that works.

Eric

Nelson Musha June 7, 2007 at 10:36 pm

What a discovery to find such a knowledgeable and passionate
sourdough lovers. I am in Bangkok, Thailand, and I
am part of a small group that is in the process of opening the Country’s
very first pancake house. Of course we want to offer unique menu items
utilitizing local products as much as possible. We will offer items using
mangos, passion fruit and other items not always found on the menu.

I intend to offer sour dough pancakes and waffles. One intriguing idea is
to use rice flour instead of the traditional wheat flour. Will this work? If
you have any ideas, suggestions or just comments on this idea, I more
than welcome them.

Awaiting your expertise.

breadtopia May 19, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Thank you very much, Ralph. Glad it’s working out for you.

Ralph Tillman May 19, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Eric

I want to compliment you. Your website and videos are very professional and your instructions and demonstrations are easy to follow. After watching your No-Knead video I felt confident that I could bake a loaf of bread. On my first attempt, the bread turned out better than I could have imagined. The taste was incredible and much better than bread I have eaten at expensive restaurants.

Ralph Tillman

breadtopia April 19, 2007 at 9:57 am

Hi Winnie,

It’s nice to hear from someone in Scotland.

I’ve heard many instances of home bakers having good success with common glass or ceramic type (heavy) casserole dishes in lieu of cast iron Dutch ovens or clay bakers like the Cloche. I think the main thing is that the dish be heavy, so you have a high thermal mass, and be lidded so as to hold in the steam from the baking dough.

Most of the frenzy these days around baking in a dish of this sort are about using the "no-knead" method, which indeed does not involve kneading. There are a few videos and recipes you can follow to, hopefully, achieve the super sourdough bread you mention. Click on these links, http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method and http://www.breadtopia.com/no-knead-recipe-variations

winnie April 19, 2007 at 9:09 am

I just got the sourdough starter. All is bubbling along nicely. I am in Scotland. Don’t have the cloche or a dutch oven. If I don’t have these do I have to knead the bread as usual and are the recipes the same. Looking forward educating locals in this very rural remote spot on super sourdough bread. Thanks

breadtopia April 17, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Hi Georgi,

I think your salutation pretty much covers it.

I usually put my hot cloche on top of a cast iron griddle which sits on top of the fridge. Otherwise I leave it on the stove top or granite counter and hope Denyce doesn’t touch it before it cools. So far, she hasn’t!

Regarding the flour quantity discrepancy, I think it’s more like what I’m missing. Only, I couldn’t find the mismatch. Is it the long or short version basic no-knead video/recipe?

If the difference isn’t much, then you can probably just pick one. There’s a fair amount of leeway with the recipe and your preferences will likely change over time anyway.

Thanks for all the nice feedback.

Eric

ps – your B&B looks awesome!

Georgi Offrell April 17, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Dear Eric (family and kitties, deer, geese, turkey, butterflies, grossbeaks, cardinals, etc…. did I leave anyone out?)

Really enjoy your site… it’s informative, artistic, and entertaining. (Much better than most forms of entertainment.)

Two questions: What are the rules about where to put the La Cloche (just got one) when it’s still hot (top and bottom)?; and noticed that in your video about no-knead bread, that your flour weight amounts don’t match your written recipes… what am I missing, —or —which is your preference, and why?

Well, alrighty, then.

Sincerely, and thank you… (for your much-anticipated answers)
Georgi

Ken February 8, 2007 at 9:18 am

Hi Eric & Denyce,

I enjoyed your video of your home and region. I think Heidi has a great personality too!

Ken

PS I am eating too much bread now, too good :(